Dirty Fuel Tank

Started by jmiller59, February 25, 2016, 03:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmiller59

Renaissance (Catalina 30) has been plagued by fuel contamination - plugged filters, plugged pickup tubes, etc. I have had the tank cleaned/polished by Diesel Fuel Maintenance. Everything I have done has has fixed the problem at the time, only to have the problem move and the engine lose power or stall.

I can drain and remove the tank from the boat pretty easily. At least access to it is easy. Any suggestions on how to get the tank REALLY clean?
Jim

Eric713

I had a leak last month.  I removed the fuel and took the tank to McCarty Radiator in northeast Houston.  They specialize in cleaning and repairing fuel tanks.  They used some type of very hot chemical to clean the inside, then they pressured the tank to isolate the leak.  They re-welded the tank and re-checked it.  I watched TV in the waiting room for 1 1/2 hrs.  $160 cash and I was out the door. We have a 22 gallon aluminum fuel tank.  I also cleaned the pick-up tube and replaced the hose from the tank to the racor filter. I then changed the racor, and filter on the engine.  So far so good. I'm no expert by any means, but you may be getting air in the fuel line. 

hayesrigging

Look at buying a new one from Catalina and be done with it.  They have exact replacements.