Roto-mold tank

Started by Deckhand, March 29, 2016, 10:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deckhand

Has anybody ever used the new plastic fuel tanks? Better to get an aluminum tank? Ideas?
Fuel-less Tramp!
GBCA Commodore 2014

Tye Dyed Gary

I know they have been using molded plastic fuel tanks in cars and trucks for over 25 years now. That's what Ford used to replace the Pinto metal fuel tank plus a deflector plate. I know they are more resistant to pH swings with each batch of fuel delivered to fueling stations. (Oil Co's. use HF to strip water out of fuels, very low pH.) 
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

gadangit

Quote from: Deckhand on March 29, 2016, 10:15:57 AM
Has anybody ever used the new plastic fuel tanks? Better to get an aluminum tank? Ideas?
Fuel-less Tramp!

We have a plastic fuel tank that I installed last year on SolAire.  It has held diesel just fine so far! 

I got a quote for a similarly sized aluminum tank and if memory serves it was more expensive.  But I honestly can't remember what the delta was.  The plastic tank was off the shelf and delivered within days.  The aluminum tank was a 6 week lead time, if memory serves.

Chris

Deckhand

Thanks all. I will keep you posted.
GBCA Commodore 2014

Emmett715

I had a new aluminum diesel tank made for Kenai at a good price. It was a 36 gallon tank for about $850. An inspection port and fuel gauge increased the price a bit. But it also came from a company in Rhode Island. Two weeks. Not too helpful around here.

I've seen/used the molded tanks on other boats. Only issue I know of is that they must be secured well the first time. Cracks aren't repairable. Aluminum lasted 25 years the first time!