SOS-Tex

Started by wattsup, June 15, 2016, 08:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wattsup

Does anyone have official information about SOS-Tex?  Is it an official organized group or just a set of rules to follow?  The bylaws are the only thing I can find online and they speak of "membership". Anyone have input?

Bee

01parrothead01

Wattsup - did you ever get any official info on SOS-TEX?  I recently joined GBCA specifically w/ SOS-TEX in mind.  Like you, I have only found the by-laws.  I sent an email to the general GBCA mailbox, but no response so far.

Bee - I tried the link you posted, but it's not working for me.

Does anyone have current information?

I'm hoping the group is still active because we really want to try to make all of the races for the annual series.

Bee

Sorry.  It worked when I posted it.  I think SOS-TEX is no longer in business, but GBCA runs the conundrum every year.  This year it is scheduled for April 22. This regatta is run under SOS rules (I believe) and I think the by-laws provide the sailing rules for entering.  Most of the entrants run double handed but I think singled handed is also available.  Charles Broaddus won it last year single handing his C22.  Charles?????

Quote from: 01parrothead01 on January 11, 2017, 06:50:33 PM
Wattsup - did you ever get any official info on SOS-TEX?  I recently joined GBCA specifically w/ SOS-TEX in mind.  Like you, I have only found the by-laws.  I sent an email to the general GBCA mailbox, but no response so far.

I'm hoping the group is still active because we really want to try to make all of the races for the annual series.

Charles

Quote from: 01parrothead01 on January 11, 2017, 06:50:33 PM

Unfortunaly, the SOS organizers are no longer active, and GBCA does not have any information on the group.  We have only had two or three participants in the SOS class in  GBCA races over the last couple of years, so I'm not sure who to steer you towards. 
We will continue to look for information and will let you know if we find anything.
Charles
Vice Commodore, GBCA
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

STuma

I think we (GBCA) can add a tab on the web site hi lighting the shorthanded racing rules. Maybe use the ones set up by SOS-TEX. I don't think there needs to be a separate organization with dues and such. If the participants of the class want to get together socially, then do it. Rotate meetings at people's houses. Keep it simple. This is what makes a class strong. With enough interest, the participants can request the clubs to add a shorthanded class. There are some good points with the SOS-TEX bylaws, but I think we can make things simpler. I do not mind helping ram-rod this forward.

cheers...
Tuma
cheers...
Scott

01parrothead01

Thanks so much everyone for your quick responses.  Sad to hear the group has disbanded, but I don't think that will stop the wife and I from getting out on the water. 
We moved back to the greater Houston area a year ago and brought a boat with us (our first sailboat).  I'm generally not very competitive, but the wife is.  So SOS-TEX sounded like a good fit.  Our plan is to sail double handed for retirement, so we thought it would be good to get started now.  Anyhow, as long as the races don't preclude two handed sailing (such as the HMR), then I suspect we will get out as much as time allows. And if there is enough interest to put together an informal short handed group, we would certainly be interested in participating and helping to get it off the ground.

Cheers,

jim

John Swanson

I am VERY interested in a revival of the SOS-Tex group, not just for racing, but for gaining experience from single-/double-handed offshore sailors. Other sailing areas seem to have active groups (c.f., www.sfbaysss.org). I wonder if there could be an effort to allow an SOS-Tex class to our local offshore races.

- John Swanson

dslance

You count me as one who would be interested in SOS-TEX.

John Swanson

I set up a Facebook group called SOS-Tex, thinking it can be an affiliated, but separate group. The idea will be to have a loose group of local people who are interested in promoting single- and double-handed sailing in not only Galveston area races, but beyond.

DarinK

You guys can likely use our clubhouse for meeting, and I'll happily add anything to the GBCA site that you'd like.

John Swanson

I/we very much appreciate it, and the support. Not enough members on Facebook to justify anything yet, but hopefully soon enough.
- John Swanson

01parrothead01

Hi John.  We don't use Facebook, but the wife and I are definitely interested.

jim