ORC Rating System for Galveston Bay

Started by dc1sail, June 22, 2016, 11:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you interested in racing under the ORC rule in Galveston Bay / Texas Coast?

Yes
8 (61.5%)
No
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: July 12, 2016, 11:21:08 AM

STuma

In this month's Sailing World, there is a separate insert that gives some good explanations of ORC.

We understand this is very different and can be a tough concept to grasp, but maybe the "professionals" can give a better explanation.
cheers...
Scott

Bee

DwightB

The Bacardi fleet for the 2016 Harvest Moon Regatta will be ORC Club......planning to use Performance Line (combo of TOT & TOD) for scoring.

gadangit

It's official, I have an ORC Club Certificate.  I guess it is me against Bee now. 

dc1sail

Mark
You noted previously "The interest shown by the sailors on the Forum is great. I hope that I can clarify on item - measurements. More specifically the freeboard measurement that determines the boat displacement. This is not required - but it is in the best of the boat to have the freeboards measured. If not measured - the boat will receive the lightest weight in the database for that class."

Can you tell us more about how to get the freeboard measured?  Is there someone in Galveston Bay who can do this?  I looked at the details and this measurement does not appear simple.  Please clarify
Dave Christensen
S/V Airborne

Mark

There is a measurement day tentatively scheduled for Sept 10 at LYC. Persons desiring to have freeboards measured should acquire their valid ORC Club certificate and contact the PHRFGB to get on the list. More info will be coming in the near future.

Hamburger No 1

Quote from: gadangit on July 26, 2016, 10:35:21 AM
It's official, I have an ORC Club Certificate.  I guess it is me against Bee now.

Hamburg II is official, as well! Surprisingly uncomplicated process with excellent response time! The whole thing took just a few days.

dc1sail

Airborne now has her ORC Club certificate.  Easy and fast.   NOTE:  If you intend to use a Code Zero you need to include the measurement information in the notes section of the application. Unfortunately there is no other place to enter the C0 measurement data.  I put the information in the notes and the ORC folks added that sail.  It does make a difference in the boat's predicted speeds (in the TWA / TWS where you would use a C0).   Therefore - using a Code Zero changes your rating. 

Bee

Quote from: dc1sail on August 23, 2016, 06:11:50 AM
Airborne now has her ORC Club certificate.  Easy and fast.   NOTE:  If you intend to use a Code Zero you need to include the measurement information in the notes section of the application. Unfortunately there is no other place to enter the C0 measurement data.  I put the information in the notes and the ORC folks added that sail.  It does make a difference in the boat's predicted speeds (in the TWA / TWS where you would use a C0).   Therefore - using a Code Zero changes your rating.

Thanks a bunch for calling this to my attention Dave.  I certainly did not want to hoist my 0 without proper rating.  I was told many times that a 0's narrow TWA window made it mostly useless, but I love the sail and as my crew will tell you try to hoist it when I shouldn't.  It is extremely efficient in light air and makes a huge speed difference on really tight reaches.

However, whether or not it changes your ORC rating apparently depends on the measurements.  I sent the measurements of my code 0 to Chris Bragdon at USSAILING and got this back.

Good morning, Bee.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. When declaring sail inventory, the relevant sails are those that comprise the largest set. Code 0's walk the line between being a boat's largest headsail (important for rating) or their smallest spinnaker (not important for rating). As the ½ width/foot ratio is >75%, your Code 0 is classed as a spinnaker and thus does not influence your certificate or rating.

No further action is required and your current certificate is valid for racing.

Kind regards,

ShakenNotStirred

2013 Commodore