GBCA Offshore Regatta - This Saturday and Sunday

Started by Osprey, September 20, 2016, 08:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osprey

The Offshore Regatta is this weekend!  Only three boats have signed up.  We need more boats.  We also need details on the party so that we can pick a place to dock.

Osprey

Canceled:

Galveston Bay Cruising Association via sendgrid.info
8:38 PM (16 minutes ago)
to me
With regrets, the GBCA board has decided to cancel the Offshore regatta due to lack of participation.
We thank you for entering and will refund your fees.
Regards,
Bob Hunkins
GBCA Fleet Captain

STuma

This is a shame... This makes the perfect opportunity to do a shake-down event for HMR. It also tells me there will probably be several boats and crews that are truly unprepared. I would encourage the board to consider keep scheduling this regatta 3-4 weeks before HMR; to be used and promoted as a shake down.

We have notice that all offshore participation has declined... What are people's reasons for not racing?
- Not enough vacation time?
- Difficult getting crew?
- Too expensive?
- No interest?
- Do not like the venue?
- Do not like the course?

Remember, these events are only as good as the participation. If there is something you would like to see, please let the PRO or board know. They don't read minds. Now, there is a good and bad way to present your point. Everyone I know of that is involved is pretty much willing to listen and consider each option. I am not saying every option will be used, but I believe it will be considered. If you have some ideas that may be controversial or personal, just talk to someone privately and ask for your name to not be used. I know there are some people that do not like doing events that I am hosting - that's fine. They don't have to. You don't have to publicly post your opinion, but please give your opinion on how to get more interest.
cheers...
Scott

Bee

I liked what they did last year.  The race to Janis Joplin's home town was a neat alternative to the usual triangles in the Gulf.  It was fun to see something different from what we normally encounter.  The beat up starting at 05:00 was rough but I was told the ride back was great.  I slept through most of it. Maybe if we could find a suitable mark/platform in that direction we could get more participation. The more traditional one in September was also great.

I wish I knew why participation is so low.  Maybe it was/is the economy, although it seems to be cooking at the moment. Maybe its that old farts like me are rapidly reaching the age where they can no longer go. The first Heald Bank Stinger ran had at least twice as many entries as 2015's races.  I don't remember which one but McGagh's Olsen 30  took 1st place by 20 seconds over the second place boat.  Haven't seen boats like that enter in a while.

Hopefully Offshore races will not die.

JayZ

I think a big part of the problem is the economy and all the uncertainty with what is happening or going to happen.

I personally am very busy with kids, work and other interests that are taking my time right now.  ...part of that is because to run a boat and keep crew interested, excited and of course just finding crew is getting harder due to both costs and time constraints.

It also seems that everyone is working a lot harder and putting in more hours.

I am hopeful that we can all stop and breath soon enough and that offshore racing out of Galveston will thrive again.

I still kind of miss those races we did out of Bridge Harbor all those years back.  I always thought that was a better format than the Galveston Race week.

Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL