RACE TO THE BORDER 2017

Started by Xavier, January 20, 2017, 12:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

It's time to start planning for the race. Schedule start is June 3, 2017.

Thank you Jim Foster and "Big D" first boat to sign up

http://racetotheborder.com/

Chris P

Was checking the NOR  and the dates for things need attention: wrong date for the day of the week, and/or duplicate dates for events on different days, etc. Can you double check, please? Gracias

Xavier

Sorry for the confusion on the dates. Got a file from 2003 mix with 2017. Please note that the north side of Laguna Madre Yacht Club has been dredge. I have been told that it's 9 feet deep. We will confirm in the coming weeks.

John Swanson

I plan to do this race if there will be an SOS-Tex class.

- John Swanson

Big D

Any updates on RTB?  So far only two boats registered. Great destination and great time of year for an offshore race.

Xavier

We normally don't see boats register until April, May. Preparations still going on and the Kick Off party is next Saturday at True North Marine. Come by, we will have door prices, food and we can answer any questions you may have. It would be great if boats register early but it never happens.

Captain John

Can I use an inflatable dingy that is inflated and ready to launch as a life raft for the race to the border or do I have to rent a life raft?

Xavier

TRUE NORTH MARINE RACE TO THE BORDER

It's with great disappointment that we have to inform the sailing community that this year's Race To The Border has been canceled.
It takes a lot of planning, months in advance, in fact we started last October at Harvest Moon regatta to promote the race. We are three weeks from the start of the race with just 2 boats signed  up.
At this stage, we need to cancel all contracts with the marina, hotels paid in advance, cancel the caterer and the brunch sponsored by the City of Port Isabel and pending orders for shirts and trophies.
We will review with our sponsors options for next year and we will do our best to make sure that this long distance race doesn't die going forward.

Thank you to everyone who helped with this event. Nothing happens without volunteers

Sincerely

Xavier Varela
Chairman

Big D

That's unfortunate. I was looking forward to the race. Port Isabel is a great destination. Only 100 miles farther than Port A. Hopefully more boats will sign up next time around.

JayZ

Too Bad...  I wish we all weren't so damn busy and preoccupied with other stuff so that we could do more of these types of races.
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL