Preliminary SIs for 2017 Cruzan Rum Race Series

Started by DarinK, April 27, 2017, 11:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarinK

The Rum Race Series is quickly approaching, and I would like to have an open discussion about the upcoming changes and the reasoning behind them.

Major Changes:

• 16:30 start time
  • Must upload Start/Finish times to be scored for series
  • 7 places for series scoring
  • 1 point for finishing
  • 3 places for race trophies
  • First place must record next two finishers in class
  • SOS-TEX is now the Shorthanded Class
  • Suggest all racers use RaceQs

Start time change.  Depending on who you ask, there is a different suggested start time.  As of now, it seems to be swinging back to "let's start a little later."  The wind is better, it is a little cooler, and the race takes up a little less of the entire day.  Note, we did not change the finish time of 9.  A counter argument for keeping the time earlier has been lights on boats, but https://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Lighting-Portable-Light-Suction/dp/B00108UN9Y

Uploading times.  If you didn't see this coming, you haven't been paying attention :)  See here:
http://discussion2.gbca.org/index.php/topic,1943.0.html
Additionally, we will allow you to change your results up to the awards.  So, if you notice that your standing is wrong, you can open the webpage back up and verify your time is entered correctly.  You can make these changes up to the time of awards.  You can submit your time for a full 24 hours after the awards, you just can't change your time.  To make a change after the awards, you will need to email me - commodore@gbca.org.  Having supporting evidence will go a long way in that conversation.  The 24 hour time limit for initial upload is for those who may not make the party, but still want to be considered for the overall standings.  Past 24 hours, it will be difficult to monitor, so we limited it to that.

8 places for series.  Uploading times makes this possible.  The more the merrier.  Though, I think 8 is a good limit, since more would make missing a single race problematic.

1 point for finishing.  If you went to the trouble of preparing you boat, finding a crew, forgoing your honey dos, getting the starting line on time, and finishing the course; you deserve something.  Call it a participation prize if you like, but this is more than just showing up.  Everyone gets to see their name in lights!  If you make all the races, you'll get a trophy at the ball.

3 deep for rum.  Since we can assume that the scoring should take less time, we can have a better schedule for announcing results.  This means less "throw down" rum and more prize rum.  Who doesn't like more prizes?

First place records next two finishers.  This is the compromise between the old and new, but I think it is a great one.  This will alleviate the issue with finish times being incorrect at the party for the rum.  Also, in the case of a tie for 2/3/4, first place breaks it. 

We have removed SOS-TEX in favor of a Shorthanded Class.  The SOS-TEX bylaws are great for offshore shorthand racing, but are a bit overkill for a rum race. http://gbca.org/resources/Documents/sos-texbylaws.pdf  I mean, I didn't see many jacklines out last year.  It saddens me a bit to make the change, but I think it makes sense.  Besides the name, nothing changes.

RaceQs.  This app kicks ass.  In addition to being a means to verify your start and finish times, it is fun to watch the fleets at the clubhouse - both during and after the race.  Also, RaceQs uses CST synced with the GPS, which is what you need for both start and finish.

http://www.gbca.org/resources/Documents/2017RumRaceSeriesSailingInstructions.pdf

Your commode-ore,
Darin

daysailor

What is RaceQ?  Does is require a 4G smartphone with G
PS activation.  I don't have that.

DarinK

This is the app we used to watch the results on the big screen at the clubhouse after the races.
http://raceqs.com

If you have a GPS logger, then you can upload your gpx tracks as well.  If not, RaceQs is completely optional.  It is just a convenience for you and the club - an easy way to track start and finish times.

gwittich

Darin, I strongly support these changes - particularly the starting time!
GW
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

Bee

Tye Dyed Gary

Daysailor,
  I don't have a smart phone, but I do have raceQ on a tablet. It works so so, on my tablet. I have been told by smart phone owners, that raceQ eats up battery time. It eats up the battery time on my tablet. So be aware of that. Other wise it's a neat toy.
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

JListon

I strongly support the later starting time.  In fact, having the starts commence later than 1630 works for me  (1700?).  Will do best to understand and use the Race App.

JL

DarinK

No disagreement?  What kind of hippy progressive club is this?

Well, for all those secretly cursing me, I do have some mitigating factors for you.  If you don't care about the series, your life has only gotten easier as you only need to keep track of the next two boats instead of the next four.  If you are in the top three and don't submit your time, you will get an estimated time based on the other competitors.  If you don't submit your time and your aren't in the top three, well you might actually get counted towards the totals anyway because of the boat-ahead, boat-behind; you lucky bastard.

For those without a fancy phone, just keep track of your finish time.  Come to the club and submit that on our fancy new laptop before the awards are announced.

And for all you lemmings who are ok with this change.. I love ya.

Rowlite

How deep does scoring go? Seven or eight places?
Like the changes. Thanks, thom
Thom

DarinK

Everyone who finishes gets a point.  Top 7 get more.

Place
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
All Finishers

jmiller59

Love the changes, especially the start time.

Bob H

Thanks for all the modernization!
Was wondering if we can see the finishing times posted and have a link on the main GBCA page to the Rum Races? The only way I have found to get there is via the calendar on the right pane, and once that event is over it disappears.

again, thanks! lot of hard work done here!
Bob H.