Offshore stories

Started by ShakenNotStirred, August 03, 2017, 04:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShakenNotStirred

2013 Commodore

Deckhand

Don't remember, but an interesting read. David Whitaker was GBCA Commodore in 1973 as well as Bay Chairman for GBCA. David was also the original owner of "Tramp"!
GBCA Commodore 2014

STuma

I knew "Barbarian" somewhat well.... Never raced with Doc... but listened to him across the course many of years...
cheers...
Scott

DonnyLazarz

I was on that race and many races before and after. I was Donny on the Barbarian, and you notice that I never got yelled at. I was also on races in the SORC and FORC that year and I always had to go up the mast when a halyard was screwed up. I was also bowman and had to the wettest and most disgusting work over and over, and hit in the head with the spin pole, since we only dip pole gybed. Herb was squished between our transom and Red Adair's Blowout as the committee boat. We got forced up and caught his anchor line at the bow and Herb went outside the stern pulpit to cut it. And that big bow came in and squished him, a 75 foot Hatteras, maybe bigger. I was about 14 or 15 that year. Thanks, and I work as a sailmaker at Banks in Kemah. Donny Lazarz. And I had to grow up with my dad, big Don, all my life, and he is still alive and my mother in Houston.

DonnyLazarz

Bye the way, Barbarian was named after my mother Barbara.

DarinK

Spect-freakin-takular.  I love these forms.