Why are we not racing?

Started by STuma, August 15, 2017, 04:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STuma

With participation of regattas very low this year, what is the reason many are not racing?

- Too competitive
- Crew too old
- Skipper too old
- It's expensive
- I've raced too much
- Too hot
- Too sunny
- No crew
- Boat is too old to be competitive
- Start time needs to be earlier/later
- I don't like the host club
- Have to wash the cat
- Domestic complications
- Boat needs work
- Kids are racing, I can't go racing
- Too many races
- I don't like pursuit courses
- I don't like windward/leewards
- I don't like the event
- I've won too many trophies
- I sold my boat
- Or anything else.....
cheers...
Scott

Deckhand

For me;
Skipper is getting too old
Skipper is falling apart
I need to get a job so I can get some rest
Too many trophies.......No!
I know for me, life has just gotten in the way.
Scotty
GBCA Commodore 2014

Borracho

There is too much yelling and it hurts my feelings.  :'(

Bee

I can resemble this remark, but somehow I am to stupid to recognize that I no longer can physically do what my brain, at the parts that work, thinks I can do.  :)

Seriously I think this has more to do with the current state of economics and the fact that many of us have to much white hair.

Quote from: Deckhand on August 16, 2017, 10:29:23 AM
For me;
Skipper is getting too old
Skipper is falling apart
I need to get a job so I can get some rest
Too many trophies.......No!
I know for me, life has just gotten in the way.
Scotty

beverly

C'mon Scott (both of you), you left out an obvious one....."I'm on Race Committee."   Lots of us like to race, and for some reason we always raise our hands at the right/wrong moment and once again we're the ones volunteering for RC work.  I'm hoping Shaken Not Stirred will be participating more in 2018 - gray hair, squeaking knees, old boat, old crew, etc.  Hoping some of the young un's will get involved in Race Management and take a turn in the barrel.  And if anyone reading this wants to still get on the water, but not race, and has a boat and some time - we're always looking for help with resources for RC work.  Contact Kevin Hayes, our Volunteer Coordinator - for available slots on RC Crew.

Hope to see all you racers this weekend on or off the water. 

8)
Beverly

BrianL

Work conflicts, not as much as usual, may improve. I have been able to make most of the Rum Races.
and lack of crew sometimes.

Brian L.

aj

offer the crew more beer & rum.  problem solved

Hamburger No 1

There's a reason why the rum (!) races are the best attended events on the Bay!

ShakenNotStirred

Quote from: Hamburger No 1 on August 22, 2017, 12:29:25 PM
Because they are FREE???  :o
2013 Commodore

Bee

I suspect you are very close to spot on with your quote.  Free rum/beer/food at an excellent party filled with great people has got to be worth going around the marks.

Quote from: ShakenNotStirred on August 23, 2017, 09:05:47 AM
Quote from: Hamburger No 1 on August 22, 2017, 12:29:25 PM
Because they are FREE???  :o

daysailor

There may be a very good reason this Saturday, with winds of up to 50 kts predicted.  Is there even a mechanism for cancelling a Rum Race?  Is anyone in the club authorized to make this decision and how would it be disseminated to the racers?  That's more questions than I should ask.  But here are some more.  Can we even get out with the tides and surge they are predicting.  Is the club liable for any injuries or damage to boats when you send people out in these conditions.

ShakenNotStirred

2013 Commodore

Tye Dyed Gary

The SI's say, Each boat owner makes his own decision to sails and at his own risk. Besides the courts have upheld Maritime Law over Civil Law when on the water. 
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

JayZ

- Too competitive
- Crew too old          ...no but the boat is too old.
- Skipper too old
- It's expensive
- I've raced too much
- Too hot
- Too sunny
- No crew                  ...yep,  It is hard to keep a crew if you don't consistently race.
- Boat is too old to be competitive   ...Maybe but I don't really care about that.
- Start time needs to be earlier/later   ...wouldn't mind the rum races starting later.
- I don't like the host club       ...no problems with any of the host clubs but I think race management as well as participation is not at an all time high.
- Have to wash the cat   ...code for something I'm sure.
- Domestic complications  ...no comment
- Boat needs work   ...what boat doesn't
- Kids are racing, I can't go racing   ...amen to this they keep us busy.
- Too many races   ...used to think this was a problem and why participation was so low.
- I don't like pursuit courses   ...these are great but I don't like that they are becoming more the norm for anything but pure racing fleets.
- I don't like windward/leewards  ...hardly ever is this a valid excuse.
- I don't like the event 
- I've won too many trophies
- I sold my boat
- Or anything else.....
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL