Harvey and RR7

Started by Hamburger No 1, August 23, 2017, 11:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamburger No 1

Anybody interested in postponing RR7 - maybe to 9/16? Windalert says 27kn gusting to 46kn for Saturday afternoon. Only riggers and sailmakers like those conditions.

Bee

I am definitely OK with postponing.

daysailor

Is there a mechanism in the club for postponing officially?  Can it be done?  Who has the authority and how do you get the info to the racers?

SeaGypsy

I agree with postponing RR7.

Tye Dyed Gary

The board is looking into rescheduling RR7 and the seminar to another date. They are checking the sailing calendar as I write. Stay tuned to the web site for updates
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

Terry Young

Sounds like a smart idea! Racer race no matter what, but it would be nice to give the judges on the committee  boat a brake. :-)

Tye Dyed Gary

If you haven't got the notice... Rum Race #7 and seminar have been rescheduled to Saturday, September 2nd. 

Terry Young

aj

Quote from: Terry Young on August 25, 2017, 11:03:20 AM
What about RUM # 7

see reply #6 above by gary.  rr7 & seminar have been postponed until 2-sept

Tye Dyed Gary

Here is the latest posting concerning Rum Race #7 from the BoD
   As always, our interest is getting the most number of boats out sailing, but the current conditions make sailboat racing a lesser priority, and we certainly understand that. The Rum Race series should be challenging, but this is the time to prioritize your family and community. So, those that can race on Saturday, we want you to come out and enjoy the normality of the weekend. The results will not be counted toward the series results.
  The start will be two (2) hours prior to your normal start. The results will be announced by 8pm, so anyone can get back by city enforced curfew (9pm for League City, as of now).
  Our clubhouse has been affected as well, and we don't have any water. Cabo on the Bay will be our "Party" location, and we will announce results there.
  We will pass the hat on Saturday, all donations will go to the Red Cross for Harvey relief.
https:www.redcross.org/donate/hurricane-harvey?campname=Harvey&campmedium=aspot

Also the seminar has again been postponed and hopefully rescheduled for a later date.   

beverly

Hello fellow GBCA racers, just wanted to check in and see is any of our members are still needing help in their homes, post Harvey?   I know we all have been touched by this storm, some more directly than others.  Walter and I have a power washer and a chainsaw, some bleach and sprayers (leftovers from the McGagh's), a functional washer and dryer, and are available to help.  Please let your club know and I'm sure we can coordinate and provide the help you need. 

Beverly  :(

Tye Dyed Gary

Just thought about passing this along. The boats that got out for RR #7 got buzzed by Air Force One on the first leg.  When flying that low it is a big shadow to crossing over your boat.. We waved good by to it.