Harvest Moon Update (unofficial)

Started by gwittich, September 13, 2017, 11:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwittich

As Bee pointed out in a recent post, there will be triangle or multipoint ("polygonal"  for Archimedes aficionados) courses for racers AND REACH-REACH courses for cruisers.

However, before discussing courses, let me point out another development:
This year, all HMR fund raising efforts will be geared towards supporting Port A. Ovarian cancer again next year but this year Port A.
Skippers, who have paid docking fees for the Municipal Marina may consider diverting refunds towards the Aransas fund.

Back to courses:
While Dwight is working hard on finalizing the SI's I will share my insights:
Start as usual on Thursday, near the Galveston Pleasure Pier.
Finish probably inside the jetties, near marker "11".
Cruising reach-reach courses either in the general direction of Freeport or - depending on prevailing winds - towards the direction of Sabine Pass. Distance for cruisers probably less then 150 nm.
Racers - polygonal courses up to 170 nm - direction again depending on prevailing winds.
(Jeff, I believe suggestions of racers expressed on this forum or addressed directly to the PRO will receive proper consideration.)
In my humble opinion and from a racing standpoint this venue deserves participation in the triple digits.
If you have not already done so, sign up and in the process help Port A!
GW
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

hayesrigging

I'd like to see the start pushed back to Friday and the course shortened up so everyone can make the party Sat night.  Taking two days off of work and ending up back home in Seabrook takes away from the "vacation" aspect of Harvest Moon.  Many people had to take off work 5 days or more due to the storm and won't be able or willing to take two additional days to race offshore.  I have spoken to many of the racers and they agree on this. 

I think the entries of our offshore races in the past shows that overnight racing and finishing at home is not a very popular race.  I do think we will get more participation for HM regardless of the format than we do for Heald Bank because many people have already planned for it but I do think a Friday start would be more appealing. 

Bee

I think this is a good idea.

Quote from: hayesrigging on September 15, 2017, 06:54:27 AM
I'd like to see the start pushed back to Friday and the course shortened up so everyone can make the party Sat night.  Taking two days off of work and ending up back home in Seabrook takes away from the "vacation" aspect of Harvest Moon.  Many people had to take off work 5 days or more due to the storm and won't be able or willing to take two additional days to race offshore.  I have spoken to many of the racers and they agree on this. 

I think the entries of our offshore races in the past shows that overnight racing and finishing at home is not a very popular race.  I do think we will get more participation for HM regardless of the format than we do for Heald Bank because many people have already planned for it but I do think a Friday start would be more appealing.

Terry Young

May I suggest for the cruisers, same start location, sail to the MOA off of Freeport (port rounding) then finish in the Galveston jetties, this would a very similar to the normal HMR start course, so it would still feel like HMR( or maybe a mark off of Matagorda). Then there is still around five hours to get back to Clearlake. Racer would have a a triangle course they would sail to the MOA do a port rounding head for a mark off shore the finish in the Galveston jetties. It would be a bit shorter course, but believe all or most would be agreeable to it with all that has happened. Just my thoughts, hopefully they are helpful !