Marker 55

Started by STuma, July 02, 2018, 04:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STuma

We are aware of a boat tagging Marker 55 last Rum Race and there was some concern about the marker being at a severe angle, or missing.  As the last boat to round M55 on Rum Race #3, it was present and vertical.
cheers...
Scott

korff98

As the first boat that rounded, it was present and vertical....  Maybe something happened in between.

ECSimonson

Kevin, what was the weather like Saturday morning as you rounded M55, cause I was still in bed at that hour!  ;D

Bee

For some reason M55 has always had a problem.  It went missing and then was reinstalled.  Has someone actually claimed it was gone?

jmiller59

It was hit and knocked over - I was 3 boat lengths away when it happened. When we rounded there was only about a foot or so sticking above the water.  Glad to hear it righted itself.

Osprey

Scott,

Are you sure you went around the right mark?  Here is a photo of M55 from Tuesday afternoon (before the storms).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VxhK5huplD1WGBqBvJgJqDg9nIBNAKUf

Walter

STuma

I am planning to place a red buoy about 20'-ish SE of M55 (or coordinates). Round the buoy and be mindful of the possible hazard "inside" the zone.  If it appears to be a bit too "sketchy", I will push the mark a bit further SE to clear everything.

Please be mindful of the competitors around you. If a boat has rights and they are concerned about the amount of room, you are obligated to give them that room. Now, there is a limit of realistic expectations and some specific verbiage in the rules of how much room is acceptable. This applies to every mark. As you approach a mark, make sure you are communicating with the boats around you. In the grand scheme of things, these people are still your friends...
cheers...
Scott

ECSimonson

Is there anything new to report regarding m55 for this weekend's rum race?  What are the coordinates for the temp bouy?

STuma

Quote from: ECSimonson on July 27, 2018, 11:54:53 AM
Is there anything new to report regarding m55 for this weekend's rum race?  What are the coordinates for the temp bouy?

Sorry I'm late to getting back to this.  For those who didn't race RR #5, the red buoy is in about the same location. I did drag it away (hopefully) from the item that Jim found a few weeks ago.  I added some reflectors (which will be easier to find than an unlit piling) and we will be adding a "blinky" light.
cheers...
Scott

Stellar of Course

For Aug 10th Friday night race. I know we will have reflective tape and blinking lights on the bouy, but, are there any remains of M55 still at the old location? As we will be rounding this  mark in the twilight or dark and this will be a windward mark some of us may indeed pass close to the original M55.

Ron E

STuma

Quote from: Stellar of Course on August 05, 2018, 06:44:06 PM
For Aug 10th Friday night race. I know we will have reflective tape and blinking lights on the bouy, but, are there any remains of M55 still at the old location? As we will be rounding this  mark in the twilight or dark and this will be a windward mark some of us may indeed pass close to the original M55.

Ron E

I have been out in the area during a low tide and have not seen any remnants. With that, I do not know what Jim found under the water. I am not aware of any issues anyone had last RR - If anyone did have issues, please send me a message. I am in contact with Parks and Wildlife, USCG, and GLO with these marks and obstructions.
cheers...
Scott

jmiller59

Besides bending my rudder, what I hit left a nice perfectly circular gouge in the rudder.  I am pretty sure what I hit is a steel pipe 2.5' under water and is marked on the NOAA chart.   The bread crumb trail on the char plotter shows a path that runs right over a marked obstruction.  The obstruction is  about .2 miles west of M55.  I was on a starboard tack heading east-ish towards M55.

My chart plotter is older but those obstructions are marked.  They have been there a long time. Until RR4 I did not use the chart view during a race - normally I just use the arrow pointing to the mark thingy.  Now I now switch to chart view every few minutes in the vicinity of M55.  I encourage everyone who has a chart plotter to glance at it while near M55.  It could save you a couple boat bucks.

Tye Dyed Gary

After comparing several older charts, along with a very little local knowledge, the Rum Races are sailing into a sort of mine field only without explosives. South of M53 you enter the old Red Fish Gas production field. While the well heads and associated platforms have been removed, the connecting pipe (that are suppose to be buried) were not removed. Shrimping has pulled up several of these pipes, some above water like the one east of M53 and the one where Mark'G' use to be. I know there is a pipe 20 yards west of M54 that depending on the tide may be out of the water or just below it.
  Just a thought, but after this year, we rethink not only the Rum Race and any other race that would go south of HSC59 or M53. This could maybe save some future bottom damage and skipper anxiety.
  Maybe go back to using Trinity Channel '8' for the south mark, the course maybe a little shorter but you aren't sailing over old wellheads and the left behind pipes.
  My two cents worth.
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat