Please don't use your tricolor during rum races

Started by KevinBednar, August 13, 2018, 01:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinBednar

After the sun set last Friday night I noticed a few boats that at first appeared to not have their running lights on until I looked up and saw the tricolor light was on at the top of the mast.  I'd like to ask everyone to run their regular deck lights after dark during rum races it's simply not as easy to see a tricolor sixty feet in the air in close quarters.  Especially if you're on the high side looking for traffic under the boom....

Thank you for your consideration.

http://sailing.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/Tricolor_light

Tye Dyed Gary

To echo Kevin, Mast head tricolor light is for offshore. When in restricted waters (bays, rivers, lakes) deck lights are required. The explanation is, to keep from being confused with other navigation aids. And as Kevin said so you can be seen.
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

SeaGypsy

While I appreciate and support Kevin Bednar's request to use the deck level nav lights instead of the masthead tricolor because the deck level lights are more visible under the sails when racing at close quarters at night, the supporting post by Tye Dyed Gary is just the opposite of my reading of COLREGS rule 25. 

Rule 25(a) describes the deck level red/green/white lights required under International rules.  Rule 25(b) dscribes the alternate use of a masthead tricolor for sailing vessels under 20m and rowboats in Inland (US) waters only.  Rule 25(c) describes the use of two lights, red over green, at the masthead, for sailing vessels in International waters (i.e. beyond the COLREGS demarcation line) "in addition to" the lights required by 25(a).  So the comment that the tricolor masthead light is primarily for offshore use is incorrect in my reading.  Technically, a masthead tricolor is only approved on Inland US waters.

That said, I've done 12 Harvest Moon Regattas in Sea Gypsy, and displayed my tricolor masthead light in every one of them precisely because I think the tricolor is more visible at a greater distance than the deck level lights.  I prefer to be more visible to other mariners at night than in strict compliance with COLREGS.  Moreover, a lot of other HMR racers use their triciolor lights, and they have been much more visible to me than those racers who only use the deck level lights at night.  But if Kevin and others request it, I may run my deck level nav lights and my tricolor, in spite of the COLREGS rules, to be as visible as possible.

Capt. Bill Jenko
S/V Sea Gypsy

KevinBednar

Thanks, I don't mean to be a grouch or anything and both types of running lights meet the colregs as long as you're under sail.  I just think the deck lights are generally more visible at mark roundings, etc.

Tye Dyed Gary

I agree with the way Bill, reads COLREGS rule 25. He is completely correct. I was roughly quoting one of many captains guides, I have read during deliveries, and what is recommended for best visibility by other boats in different waters (open ocean/gulf or bays ).
  Use the mast head tricolor when offshore, it gives the longest and best visibility for that application. BUT, when in the bay use your deck lights, other boaters are not looking up to see your lights. They are looking at water level to see other running lights and objects in the water. 
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

Hamburger No 1

H2 was one of the culprits with the masthead light. We didn't do that to confuse or irritate the Stinger (that's just a fringe benefit😀). We had a short in the regular light circuit and tripped the breaker a few times which resulted in no lights at all. Then we switched to the masthead to have at least something that distinguishes us from the Black Pearl.

It's all fixed now thanks to some super fast work by Hayes Rigging.

shawn

I was more confused about the boat with a green light on the stern and no running lights on the bow.  Didnt know if he was coming at me or going away.....

I hope the wind wont die again on the last leg.  It made a long night and the awards after midnight were way past my bedtime.   There seemed to be less people at the party.

my two cents
Shawn
Semi True Story

STuma

I understand, and agree with Kevin's point. We will have a good number of boats out with a lot of lights in the background and people will be looking horizontally for other boats; especially on the last leg when most of the congestion will be present. Also remember, as one concern, any powerboat on the water will be looking horizontal, not up.  With a red/green 40, 50, 60' in the air, they may think you are further away than you really are. In regards to offshore, I would recommend the tri-color light rather than deck level lights. And remember that a mid-mast steaming light may be convenient for seeing telltales, it makes havoc for determining if a boat is sailing or motoring. But, I am hoping we will have a bit of "external lighting" this Friday.
cheers...
Scott