RaceQs Public Regatta Broadcast of Icicle and other Races

Started by SeaGypsy, January 18, 2019, 01:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaGypsy

I would like to suggest to the GBCA race management that they set up a RaceQs Public Regatta Broadcast of the races http://raceqs.com/pro-regatta-broadcast/.  My understanding from the RaceQs website is that this allows the committee and the public to view the race in real time with a 5 minute delay from any computer with an internet connection.  And it is free. This seems like it would be valuable for our friends and family to watch the race in near-real time, and also give them adequate notice of when we will be back at the dock.

Thanks
Capt. Bill Jenko
S/V Sea Gypsy

Christopher

The club has tried this in the past until RaceQs became unresponsive to the Regatta/Race/Course setup requests.  They used to take our SI's and build the courses with marks and start/finish lines.  Then they stopped responding to email/phone requests.  Maybe it was a phase and we need to try again.  Supposedly we can do our own mark settings withing the tool now.

Two problems I see with this:
- receiving (by the competitors) any real time or delayed view of the race as it occurs might be viewed as a violation of RRS 41c "information not available to all".  While it may be 'freely' available, a big boat might have a laptop and wifi, but a J22 won't.
- If you leave the 'Live Streaming' setting turned ON for the live feed to occur, you may not have enough battery left on your mobile after the race or even to complete the race if it's long enough.  The app and mobiles' gps are battery hogs.  :o  I've always turned my Live Streaming to Off and just remember to upload after the race is over.

I get where your going for friends and family information and I concur.  But, wouldn't it be more fun to take them out with you than to leave them on shore?   8) 
Best left for the après-race viewing.

My 2 cents...
Mahalo nui loa

STuma

Quote from: SeaGypsy on January 18, 2019, 01:44:19 PM
I would like to suggest to the GBCA race management that they set up a RaceQs Public Regatta Broadcast of the races http://raceqs.com/pro-regatta-broadcast/.  My understanding from the RaceQs website is that this allows the committee and the public to view the race in real time with a 5 minute delay from any computer with an internet connection.  And it is free. This seems like it would be valuable for our friends and family to watch the race in near-real time, and also give them adequate notice of when we will be back at the dock.

Thanks
Capt. Bill Jenko
S/V Sea Gypsy

I thought Darin had set up for some last year.  I set it up for all my big events. They have a link that is very easy to make a request. Plus, I have a direct email to the developer. I can make a request for the remaining events.

Thanks for the reminder. 
cheers...
Scott