It's Wednesday so it's time to rag CLRA High point scoring

Started by Tye Dyed Gary, January 30, 2019, 10:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tye Dyed Gary

It's Wednesday, the first seminar is in two weeks, sooo, it's time to start complaining about High Point Scoring. Let me start by saying, I can not thank Scott, John and the whole race committee for the job they do in putting on the Wednesday Night races.
  Now to the complaint, first, there is a reason U.S.Sailing dropped high point scoring in the mid 90's. It is simpler to start with and if you are scoring over several series, it more accurately scores boats that show up and race every week. Plus there is one less math conversion set to be done by the person doing the scoring. Also you are not penalized for sailing every week vs just when a lot of boats show up in your fleet.
  In my spare time, I re-figured the J-22 fleet overall scores for last year using low point scoring. In the 1st. series boat #1546 scored lower overall then #878, and should have taken honors for that series. There are many examples of boats showing up weekly and doing fair but being beat in the series scoring by boats that missed one or two races, all because of high point scoring. Individual races are scored as they finish, it is when you come to the series and then the summary that the high point causes an inaccuracy.
  In the case of my boat, overall I would be in 6th place with low point vs 12th under high point.
  A side note, fractional scoring was tried in the late 90's and proved to be just about as unworkable, for more then a single regatta.

Now as to how to determine overall combine fleets champion, maybe you assign a high point score after the fact, but not for individual series and fleet summary's.       
  My two cents worth. Tye Dyed Gary     
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

Charles

If you finish far enough in the rear each race, Hi Point/Low point don't make no difference!   ;D
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

ShakenNotStirred

I'm sure you mean:
Quote from: Tye Dyed Gary on January 30, 2019, 10:45:04 AM
  ... Let me start by saying, I can not thank Scott, John and the whole race committee enough for the job they do in putting on the Wednesday Night races.
;)
2013 Commodore

Tye Dyed Gary

Thank you Walter for the correction, yes I left out enough by mistake.

Rmiller1

Quote from: Charles on January 30, 2019, 11:59:49 AM
If you finish far enough in the rear each race, Hi Point/Low point don't make no difference!   ;D

Hey, no fair giving away my strategy!

STuma

Notice of Race posted for Wednesday Night Races. https://www.clearlakeracing.org/images/2019/NOR2019.pdf

Directions for payment are embedded in the NOR.

next Seminar is February 27 - hosted by Farley Fontenot of Quantum Sails discussing some top secret sail trim tricks. So secret, I am not allowed to video tape the session...
cheers...
Scott

Tye Dyed Gary

I've already registered even thou you are still using high point scoring. It's still not fair to those of that are in the middle of the fleet and come out every week. AGAIN my two cents worth.

Tye Dyed Gary

The Wednesday nights SI's are posted. There is a new hotline phone number, and we are still using the low life high point scoring.