Spinnaker A Kite Bow

Started by Marty P., February 12, 2019, 03:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTnick340

A couple more items for the discussion:
I know of at least one boat in the cruising class that races with both a poled symmetrical and a sprit asymm, might think about calling it cruising class spin and let them use either or both.
Aftermarket sprit seems like a good way to distinguish the class, might need to limit length, and maybe put a bottom rating on the class like 120 or so.
We'll have to get rated to our largest spinnaker and maintain a certificate.
Cruising club is not just a learning class, it's also for sailors who may not have the means or time to have newer sails, bottom cleaning, and other things that go into consistantly winning races, or they're just a little more casual about it. There may be a lot more of these casual racers wanting to stay in the class, than learners ready to take off the "training wheels". I would hate to dilute a fun class that has great turnout and add another class that can only turn out three or four boats. Maybe we need to take a poll to see how many would race in the new class?

Bill T.

shawn

Good discusion
great points
I am not really sure any rating system PHRF or ORC will cover the differences in the hull design.  the evolution from heavy displacement to foiling cats spans 30 years or more. I do not want foils in my class either. ;)

I agree with the sail area and displacement grouping as getting closer to the truth.  Now the sprit adds more J to the sail area so I think we need to stay away from that grouping. Like boats against like boats. Heavy against heavy and surfers against surfers.  Its not necessarily cheap to get new sails but with some shopping you might find some used ones to try out for a bow a kite class. 

And they are a trick to fly verses a sym kite so get some practice time in.  We are still learning.
Shawn
Semi True Story

Marty P.

The Rum Races will be here before we know it.

How do these sound for class definitions:

• The Classes of the Cruising Club Fleet are:

o TRUE CRUISER CLASS (TCC) – These boats have interiors that include a reasonable level of comfort for extended Cruising. They are of moderate Performance Characteristics.  They may not use symmetrical or asymmetrical spinnakers. (Would use current Club Handicap System)

o PERFORMANCE CRUISER CLASS (PCC) – Similar to TCC except participants are permitted to use a Symmetrical Spinnaker or Asymmetrical Spinnaker on a sprit or pole. They may choose to use an Asymmetrical Spinnaker tacked to the center line or single headsail non-spin. (Would use PHRF handicap)

(This came from the Chesapeake Bay PHRF, I've slightly reworded it in places.)

There would be no spinnakers in the TCC, and the PCC would take the place of the Bow Asym class we currently have.

Any thoughts?

Bob H

Has anyone thought of using the "Race/Cruiser" definition on the PHRFGB website? That along with other rules like only allowing dacron sails or whatever might fit the bill.

For my part, I'd like to sail in such a fleet, if I can use my symmetrical spinnaker.

Nicole

Bad Girl would be interested. I have been told I need to remove my stove and all this extra weight to be competitive. But I also enjoy the boat when I am not racing so I'm not going to do that. This would be fun to try out and be great for my crew who would like to start doing some spin races. I think that the boats that are interested would be great competition. I'm good with using the PHRF ratings and agreeing to a class description.

shawn

Almost

Dont forget the sprit adds up to 10 feet on the J dimension accorting to a sailmaker it can add 40 % more sail so I vote no sprit.
Shawn
Semi True Story

Marty P.

Good morning....after the board meeting last night this is what we have.  Club Handicap is now split.

Club Handicap Non Spin: Obvious
Club Handicap Spin: Asym or Sym, sprit or however else you want to attach it to the boat. The first race will use your PHRF rating, then handicaps will be adjusted after each race. No poles on asyms.

I think it's a good start. Probably will need some fine tuning with time

Should be a lot of fun. Spread the word!!!!!!!

Marty

byrongax

Just wondering aloud - why dont you clean the beach launch area out of debris. It would be good no matter what kite type you end up flying.