Night Run II - time lapse video of Houston Ship Channel at night

Started by Trink, October 30, 2009, 05:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trink

Lou Vest is a HSC pilot with an interest in photography. Make sure you select "HQ" on the YouTube control panel for high quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xstd3_0usI

His description of the video:
A time lapse video made by setting a camera to take photos at six second intervals during a trip outbound on the Houston Ship Channel. I used Quicktime to assemble over 2000 individual photos into a 3 minute movie representing an actual time of over 3 1/2 hours. The ship was only moving at 5-6 knots for the first half of the trip and up to 10 knots in the open areas away from the docks. The journey begins just below the Port of Houston turning basin at the end of the channel and continues down to Morgan's Point at the head of Galveston Bay. We still had 32 miles to go to get out to the pilot station in the Gulf of Mexico at that point. The ship is a Panamax tanker 600 feet long by 106 feet wide.
S/V Toccata

Sailchick

GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

ChrisK

That is pretty cool.

Could do the same for one of our sailboat races, maybe when Wednesday Nights resume next April?
The challenge would be where to put the camera.
Past Commodore, 2010

Trink

We certainly could do the same for Wednesday night races.

Some camera locations could be:

• The deck at Club classic, with a moderate telephoto, when we have a rounding mark/finish line close by
  • Sam's Boat/Marine Max area, with a longer telephoto when we are starting in that area
  • The committee boat, looking at the starting area with a wide angle

I am doing some of this already and have some of the equipment, so I would be glad to work with someone on it, although I hope to be out there on my boat (no comments please Charles).

Another camera position I've thought about is actually on the boat itself, maybe low on the mast looking aft into the cockpit so one could see the crew activity, or maybe on the bow looking forward. There's lots of interesting possibilities, and the time lapse concept keeps it interesting.

We would end up with our own set of YouTube videos to promote GBCA, Wednesday night racing, and sailing in general.
S/V Toccata

Big John

Fixed locations would work for the time lapse thing. The committee boat moves too much.  How about atop the Endeavor tower.  Anyone have access?  We have also looked at live broadcast video on the internet, which is not as hard as it sounds.  Need a webcam, server and a place to put it.  Let's do something.  :P

John