Weather

Started by Curmudgeon, January 08, 2010, 01:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curmudgeon

How many racers will actually go out tomorrow in this cold???????

MaryM

How many can actually get out our thier slip in the predited low water?   ???

MaryM

I need a spell checker.

ChrisK

That's pretty darn low
Galveston Bay Webcam
Past Commodore, 2010

RumSponge

I'd be up for going, but water level is probably gonna scratch out Kenai.

Charles

I'm gonna be out there either on Millenium or Half Fast!  Brrrrr.
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

AndyH

I am new to the Icicle series [didn't expect to have real Icicles in the series  :o ].  Is there any chance the decision to cancel could come earlier than 11:15?  I am not sure if I can get out the Watergate channel [draft = 5''6"] and I would hate to get stuck for no purpose.

Is there a phone number to call, in case I miss the Channel 68 broadcast?  In the absence of other word, we are going to try and get out.

Thanks for any suggestions.  --- AndyH    s/v Yippee HiHo

Sailchick

You are all crazy.  I will be at the clubhouse turning up the heat and starting a fire in the cigarette pit on the porch.
GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

AndyH

With the predicted continued NNW wind and crew coming from afar, Yippee HiHo is going to stay in her slip tomorrow, to avoid running aground and being cold.  Hate to miss it.  Looking forward to the 60% chances of rain the following weekend!!!

Big John

Quote from: AndyH on January 08, 2010, 06:41:11 PM
I am new to the Icicle series [didn't expect to have real Icicles in the series  :o ].  Is there any chance the decision to cancel could come earlier than 11:15?  I am not sure if I can get out the Watergate channel [draft = 5''6"] and I would hate to get stuck for no purpose.

Is there a phone number to call, in case I miss the Channel 68 broadcast?  In the absence of other word, we are going to try and get out.

Thanks for any suggestions.  --- AndyH    s/v Yippee HiHo
Andy H 
Be aware, They don't cancel because of cold or low water.  Just fewer boats show up.  My draft is 7' 3" and I might be out(from LYC) based on the morning water report.
J

gwittich

John, I assume you are familiar with the shoals out of LYC before you get to the Clear Creek channel.
I am concerned that Ike may rear his ugly head once more with submerged objects in the bay. A few weeks ago I hit something pretty hard south of marker 5.
If I were not stuck in my slip at LYC, I might still consider saving my keel (6 ft) for another race.
GW
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

Big John

I guess I wasn't clear.  My decision, not to go, was put off till this morning. The water is down about half a foot from where I would even try it, and still dropping. (Along with the cold temperature).  Freezing and sailing are mutually incompatible, but there will be people out.  Of course, the icebergs in the bay may impede progress.  btw, the submerged objects are going to get you whatever the water level.  Remember, the alleged bay is only about 10 feet deep at best. 
J

Eric713

Lil Bit A Sol will stay at Portofino.  Nineteen degrees in NW Houston at 8am.  No Icicle today for my cicle has too much ice.  18k winds in Galveston and 3k at Kemah.  Good luck to all who may brave the cold and lo water.  Clear Lake lo tide is 11:30am. 

ChrisK

You don't have to race Icicle 2 this afternoon to stop by the awards/clubhouse later.
Several of us will be taking *ahem* rum inventory and rumor has it Bev has a pot of gumbo to warm your soul. 

Icicle #3 is next week.

Until them (and something warm to do this week) HYC's Intro to RC is tomorrow, and the CLRA Wednesday Night speaker series continues with Jay Lutz...
Past Commodore, 2010

DollFin

Big D is gonna make a go of it... Yes, we are CRAZY!!!

"We're all here cuz we're not all there!"

Work out those sailing knots!
Sea of Tranquility Therapeutic Massage
713 408-0444