2009 GBCA Texas Race Week: 7/23-25

Started by ChrisK, June 16, 2009, 10:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisK

Day racing out of the Galveston jetties returns, Thursday-Saturday: July 23-25.

Slips available with power! Contact Rita Higgings at 409-762-9689

NOR/signup at
http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubs/gbca.html

Past Commodore, 2010

Bee

The Old Phart is really looking forward to this.  Stinger is in an excellent position to go out and take her 3rd Texas Navy Trophy.  Looking at the list of registrants one would think that there should be a lot more competition.  Good boats with great sailors so far, but so few.  Come on guys sign up.  This should be a really great regatta.

Jonsey

Does anyone have a hotel recomendation for TRW?   I understand the marina is back in order but the Yacht club is still closed..  party plans?

We had a great time last year, GBCA put on a great regatta!

Kevin Box

Kathy Rodgers is confirming a group rate with Comfort Inn as I type.  She'll post info as soon as the deal is done.

Happy Hour parties and Awards will be at the pool/palapa bar area all three days.  Daily awards, snacks, beer and rum bar Thursday and Friday after racing.  Awards banquet Saturday with dinner, beer and, you guessed it - rum bar ;D

KathyR

ATTENTION TEXAS RACE WEEK PARTICIPANTS! HOTEL GROUP RATE INFORMATION!

The Comfort Inn and Suites at Stewart Beach will again be the RC Committee headquarters for Texas Race Week 2009.  We have held 10 rooms (double beds) and 5 rooms (king beds) all non-smoking at the group rate of $119.99 for the nights of Thursday (7/23), Friday (7/24) and Saturday (7/25) with departure on Sunday under the group name ?Texas Race Week 2009.?

All participants will be responsible for making your own reservations and following the payment and cancellations policies of the Comfort Inn & Suites.  You must call their direct number at (409)766-7070 and tell them you want to make reservations under group name ?Texas Race Week 2009.?

The cut off deadline for reservations will be Friday, July 17, 2009 (or until rooms run out whichever comes first).  The regular rate for rooms run about $154.99/night, so make sure you make your reservations early and get in on the group rate cut price.

For those of you who stayed before you know the amenities of the hotel...the Texas Waffle continental breakfast area every morning!  The hotel is also about 5 minutes from the Galveston Yacht Basin Marina, so easy access for your crew to stagger back after the post-race parties and get to the boat in the morning to start a new race day!

DON?T DELAY!  CALL NOW TO MAKE YOUR TRW HOTEL RESERVATIONS!   ;D

JayZ

gbCa Race week.

Thinking of bringing BANJO GIRL down for Race Week. 

How can we get more of the "C" in GBCA boats to come out?
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Charles

I have a Magma grill. I'll see if John will lets us strap it on the stern pulpit of Millie X.
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Bee

Looking at the entrant list I am amazed that there are so few boats.  Is this becoming a spin-only-big-boat series?  Come on out folks.  The bar is great the food is great the docking is great---and---unlike the bay the water is actually very clear.  What's not to like? ::)

Christopher

Quote from: Charles on July 06, 2009, 05:24:46 PM
I have a Magma grill. I'll see if John will lets us strap it on the stern pulpit of Millie X.
::)

NOT!!
You're going to be too busy to be grillin anyway.
Mahalo nui loa

Kevin Box

Just like last year?s TRW, the regatta will consist of day races starting at HSC marker 11 and heading offshore for various triangles and out-and-back courses.  The Spinnaker fleet courses will include more windward-leeward work, while Non-Spinnaker boats will receive a more gentlemanly course conducive to good reaching/trolling speeds.  We?ll do our best to make sure everyone gets back in plenty of time for the pool party.

Nightly pool parties from 6-9PM will feature NY Pizzeria on Thursday, assorted gourmet sausage selections from the Grill Master on Friday and a Seafood Buffet for the Grand Awards on Saturday.  All this and the open Rum Bar will be yours for the $175.00 entry fee that includes 2 event passes.  Additional passes for all three days are only $25.00.

See the NOR and sign-up at: http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubs/gbca.html

JayZ

Kevin,

Forget RC and other such duties and leave that to someone else.  Bring out that big ole heavy C&C and sail a genlemanly race with us civilized folks.  ...truthfully I'd love to see some cruiser / racers come out and sail a spin course.  I'm working on getting some medium to heavy cruiser racers out.  With any luck...

JZ
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Kevin Box

JZ,

That day is coming, my man.   Doing Race to the Border this year was awesome and I?ll never forget last year?s offshore Conundrum. 

Did I mention that we expect to have the limited edition GBCA Tervis Tumbler ready for sale at Texas Race Week?

Stay cool!

Kevin

Jonsey

Regarding participation;  this is a great regatta and GBCA does a super job.   On a fun scale i'd say it's easily at the top of the list - and Galveston is a super location to bring the family. 

99% of the Texas sailing community (inland yacht clubs) have no idea it exists.   Austin Yacht Club is facing a low-water issue with most of the boats pulled - hobie 33's, Olson 30's.  Those would be great boat to get to this regatta.  I'm sure these clubs (and others) would put a blurb about Texas Race Week in their newsletter or on their website.   

Thursday is hard for most - perhalps it would be wise to make it a 2-day (Friday / Sat) event for the cruising fleet?

In any case - I could see this turning into a premier event..  currently it's a very well kept secret

JayZ

I've got some friends from Fort Worth Boat Club that are probably coming down.  ...not bringing any boats but will hopefully be filling up crew of a few cruising boats we're trying to get entered.

The only think I'd like to see changed is longer courses (if there is any wind)  Possibly even an overniter this is part of the "offshore" series, no?
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Jonsey

We considered loading back up on the boat Friday after the party shuts down for a night cruise.  I think that of the 12 people on our boat only two or three have been off-shore. 

I think those are good suggestions but for me the current format is better.  Last year we got back to the dock early enough to relax..  take a shower and hang out at the boat before hitting the pool.  This year the family will be there so cupons will be earned if we arrive  early.