2009 GBCA Texas Race Week: 7/23-25

Started by ChrisK, June 16, 2009, 10:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonsey

Quick addition;  the suggestion was made that we bring down a Viper or two for people to play on after they get off the race-course.   We think that's a great idea..  a little high velocity match-racing just outside the bulk-head?

We're going to bring the boats, if the weather cooperates it's on!

KathyR

You can't beat a better party price than $25/for 3 days of free food and rum.....BUT you HAVE to purchase those tickets!  We'll begin selling them at the Skipper's meeting and you can buy them at the Post Race Party on Thursday (better to buy them early to help us with headcounts)....This year you will need to have your ticket each day at the poolside entry to receive that day's party wristband.  This wristband lets the bartendar and food server know that you receive free Rum/Beer and Food for that day.  We'll have a new wristband for each day so you don't have to hold on to the same wristband for 3 days...just hold on to that same ticket.   ;D

JayZ

700 views to this thread but a very thin fleet.  I hope some more boats join in on the fun soon!
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

Sailchick

The Texas Race Week Special Edition of the Cannon is now out for your reading pleasure!!!  It includes information, phone numbers, links, hotels, quotes, sponsors, everything you need for a successful race.

Get signed up and take a look at our special edition of the GBCA Cannon - out now!!

http://campaign.constantcontact.com/render?v=001zrOayUPVmhjV8KqPN78cDM9tAo3Cus8dRfHoFJbNT1DfOUw4dVWmPA-S-UrRq7yEolflTG-hXVPql_UpRIextFDyu0YH1_7M-hDAcem6M5Jqi0aXCqoqpMR0KYZwN-OL

GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

ChrisK

Kudos to Jody on another fine newsletter with the composition provided by wordsmith Box, the superwoman efforts of KathyR and the rest of the hard working GBCA volunteers.
Karma +1.

I'm going to print a few color copies to help spread the word...
Past Commodore, 2010

Bee

Definitely a wonderful Cannon.  Only problem is that Jody put this picture of this strange Old Phart on it with some kind of reference to a Mr. something or the other.  I think that guy's name is actually Bee but then what the hell do I know.

Anyway, you guys are going to have to beat Kevin this time.  The Old Phart will be in physical therapy for this one.  If he feels good enough, he might try to get the BW to haul him down for a party or two but that's the best he will be able to do.  That in and of itself is very very iffy.

Best thing would bee (sp) if the rest of you worthless boat owner would sign up to make this into the wonderful event it usually is.  I can definitely vouch for the excellence of the rum, the beer, the sailing, and the fun.

What's not to like?

Bee

Just an FYI.

The cannon on the flag on the Cannon, as it were, it one of what eventually was called the Twin Sisters.  They were actually found by a friend of mine, Dr Patrick Wagner (MD), from my home town (Shiner).  He devoted most of his life to finding artifacts like this and was pretty successful.

Pat's father, Frank, delivered me.

Sailaway

Looking at AccuWeather.com it looks like the Texas Race Week will have some realy nice weather.  Might be some rain on Friday & Saturday but then that might just be refreshing!  Sure would like to see more boats signed up at this year's event.  Really would love to see more crusing boats come on out.  Looks like Ms Rogers has the event planned and cookin'!

Just a note as to why I sponsor the race:  I love sailboat racing!  No better place to watch a race than from the start line!  Scott started working with GBCA and Greg Casmayor and I did not start until Scott and I bought Tramp and Duane Bez was commadore.  We have really enjoyed all the crew that have come to work on the RC boat since we have been hosting and look forward to many more years.

So get the boat ready and come on down to what will be a really fun three days of racing.

Oh yea,  I will have the camera and I promise it will be in focus!

John
m/v Tramp

KathyR

Hey!  Where's all our racers?!  You still have time to enter TRW, so come on and let's see those entry numbers increase.  T-shirts have just arrived, so they will be for sale at the TRW Skipper's meeting this Friday.  Artwork is one of a kind designed by Don Lewis in Austin.  We will also have posters for sale (each skipper will receive a poster in your packet).  Bring your cash and/or checkbooks and purchase this year's TRW T-shirt and posters.  ALSO, if you are planning to race and attend the parties you will need to purchase the TRW Event Tickets ($25 each) to receive all the free food, rum and beer for the 3 post race parties planned for this year's TRW.  We will be checking tickets at poolside where you will receive a wristband for that day's post party event, so be sure and get your event ticket early!

Galveston Yacht Basin also has available slips with electricity, so call Rita and get your slip reserved.  We also have some rooms reserved at Comfort Inn Suites at East Beach (see previous posts for details) with deadline for reservations being this Friday, July 17th. 

Let's make this another great year for TRW, so spruce up those boats, call your crew and come out and play with us in Galveston!

Kevin Box

Besides the long courses out to platforms and back, we have historically thrown in a beach course down to the Flagship for W/L action.  We can?t run the Flagship course anymore since the road to it is missing and I think it?s been condemned, or at least it should be. 

That?s OK because the boys down in the lab have created a new one that?ll have tacticians slapping their foreheads.  It?s called ?OY!?  Of course, there?s the double ?OY!? and even the triple ?OY!?, but let?s not get ahead of ourselves.

Although the skipper?s meeting is this Friday, registration stays open until the 20th for those that just won?t enter without a good weather forecast.  There?s a late fee after this Thursday, so it?ll cost you to see that ?hole card?.

Christopher

Suggest we continue to have some kind of racing action in front of the beaches for the beach spectators and the Galveston economy.  Has this event been advertised?
Mahalo nui loa

Kevin Box

Christopher,

That's exactly what the three beach courses (OY!) do.  Racing will be visible from East Beach.  It just can't be as up-close as the Flagship was for obvious reasons.  Hopefully one of these new piers going up will be someone we can partner with next year for spectators. 

The race is advertised and we usually wind up with big color pictures in the Daily News.  Sometimes even above the fold.

Kevin Box

Notices have been added to the Official Notice Board.

Crew can check out the sandwich delivery info and let your skipper know how much better you'll perform fueled by a chicken, spinach, portobello and mozzarella sandwich on fresh pizza bread 8)

ChrisK

Reminder: competitors briefing will be held at the GBCA Office at 1900 Friday, July 17.
Past Commodore, 2010

Sailaway

Will have my external drive will all of the pictures I have taken of GBCA races so bring you thumb drives!  I will be dishing out TRW pictures as well!

John
m/v Tramp