HMR racer injured in bike accident

Started by Andrea, December 14, 2010, 11:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrea

Paul Horton from Austin has raced Harvest Moon and other GB races on several occasions.  Shortly after the regatta this year, he was involved in a bad bike accident.  This news clip tells how his golden retriever summoned help to the paralized sailor following the tumble.  Please keep Paul in your thoughts as he works toward regaining his ability to sail.
http://www.kvue.com/home/related/Dog-saves-man-paralyzed-in-biking-accident-111453219.html

BoomerangJ

Terry and I visited Paul this past Sunday.  He is doing well and would enjoy visits from any sailors that are up this way.  If you would like to contact his wife to find a good date/time-send us an e-mail and we will put you in touch with his wife.

BoomerangJ

Terry and I just returned home after visiting with Paul, Sharon, and Yogi.  I never knew Paul before this accident.  We are involved as Terry suffered a spinal cord injury some 13 years ago and mutual AYC friends put us together.  As the crow flies we live less then a mile apart.  You can see our boat dock from their house.  It's a shame these circumstances brought us together, but we feel very fortunate to be able to get to know the Horton's. I happened to be reading Telltales today and discovered that Paul won the HMR multi-hull class this past October.  It was just a few days after HMR that he injured his cervical spine in the accident.

He's been home for a few weeks and going through BIG adjustments-but they are getting there.  When the weather gets better he's going to want to sail.  I may need to get some help from you multi guys to take him out on his Corsair.  My dock is wheel chair accessible, and I have a lift to get him on the boat, but could maybe use a hand or two on the boat.

In the meantime if your a friend of Paul's from his sailing days a visit would be great.  So if you are up in the Austin area think about making time to go see him.  He'd love it.