crew member available

Started by JakeM, July 11, 2009, 09:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeM

I am 44, 5' 6", 185lbs.  I just moved from downtown Houston to Kemah and I really need some experience on a crew.  I got a great "team" attitude and my schedule is pretty flexible.  Just completed the Basic Keelboat Certification.  Not much experience, I know, but I am ready to LEARN, work hard and have fun.  Please send me an email:

Jake Myer
JLMyer@Hotmail.com 
call or text 832-392-1964

Thanks!!
rum go (plural rum gos)   1. (slang, idiomatic, British, Cockney) An odd affair; a surprising event; a confusing experience.  "Life's a rum go."

B Sailing/Alan Bates

I have a J/80 and J/105 and we need crew at times.
Wed nights at Seabrook Shipyard J/80 slings 5pm
Various weeeknd regattas
Alan--281.212.7348
www.bsailing.com
Alan Bates/B Sailing-281-212-7348
Learn to sail and race J/Boats in annual membership sailing club. Unlimited sailing on "your' own boat.

JakeM

FYI:  I lived in the Virgin Islands for 5 years so, even tho I don't have a lot of experience actually crewing, I have spent a lot of time on and around boats. 

Furthermore, I make my own schedule and am anxious to get out on the water!

~Jake
rum go (plural rum gos)   1. (slang, idiomatic, British, Cockney) An odd affair; a surprising event; a confusing experience.  "Life's a rum go."

ChrisK

How lucky you are!
If your schedule is flexable and you live in Kemah I would highly recommend the Wednesday Night races.
They start in April and go until September.

One trick on getting a ride is to hang out at the Seabrook Shipyard crane in Z-dock (dry storage) about 5:00.  Usually there are several boats looking for last minute crew. Ask the guys driving the tractors if they need crew that night.  Bring canned beer, sailing gloves.  A watch that has a count down timer is bonus.  If boats are full, don't be discouraged.  Head over to Sam's Boat to watch the starts, then CLub Classic for the finishes. You'll always learn something. There is always next week.

On the water, you'll learn a heck of alot in the condensed Wed Night format, especially if you're out there consistantly each week.
At first it's physically intensive, you don't know what the heck is going on (try to stay on the boat) that's normal. 
Hopefully a mentor aboard will help you along. Watch what they do, they should have the time to tell you why either while they're doing it, or at the dock.  Likely they'll need you help, especially if it's windy.
Once you've done a start, upwind, downwind, a reach or two, a finish, and then come back the next week, the racing will get easier and even more fun.

For Wed, jumping on a J24 is probably a good bet, there are a couple of J27's and Soverel 27's usually looking for crew too.
Crew consistancy is really key in this game...so many boats need a steady crew, or at least 1 or 2 that are always there and show up.
If you can be that go-to person, and have some basic skills (like foredeck or trimmer) you'll be golden. Learning this can take a season or two, but someone with that kind of experience is invaluable.
Your skipper (and crew) will very much appreciate the help. 
It takes time and treasure to campaign a sailboat, maintain a sailboat, and the biggest challenging of them all: keep it full of crew for 25+ Wednesday nights in a row!

If you get into one design (J24, J22) there are tuning guides and tons of stuff on the web about flying a symetrical spinnaker.  Do a little homework in this department, the more questions you ask and proactive you are to learning, the better.  If you can figure out symetrical spin, an asymetrical spinnaker (J80) will be a snap.  Also Google windward takedown and leeward spinnaker takedown.  There is plenty of entertainment found on youtube of when a spin takedown goes wrong... :o

Try to learn as much you can.  Not only the operations inside the boat, but keep your head outside the boat. 
Ask things like: How is our tactician able to call the wind gusts? How do you know where we are going? What's going on with the start sequence? Where is the shallow water? Are we about to do the same manouver the boat in front of us just did?  Is that other boat about to cut us in half?
On the lake there is alot of stuff going on at once and you have to be ready. (In other words, there is not alot of time to admire the seagulls flying by)  A good crew will discuss what is about to happen and/or go over what's going to happen next.  Be sure to listen, and hang on.

Wednesday Night is a really good stepping stone to larger rides as it's 'pretty much' the same crowd that does the bay and offshore races.  Also, the same keel boat principals you see on the lake apply to most (if not all) sail and boat handling on the bay and offshore, just scaled up.

Finally, stop by Club Classic afterward, around 8:45 the crews start to roll in for the awards, tell battle stories, spend some bar tab winnings and meet with friends and family who didn't get to go play on the water that evening. 
You might make some contacts there also!
Past Commodore, 2010

JakeM

Wow, a wealth of useful info!  Thanks for taking to the time to dispense some of your experience.  You'll be seeing me around!

JakeM

FYI: I WILL BE IN MOROCCO ON VACATION FOR THE MONTH OF SEPT.  AFTER THAT, I'LL BE AVAILABLE ANY TIME, EXCEPT FOR ALL ROCKETS HOME GAMES (I'M IN CHARGE OF THE AUDIO IN THE ARENA).

IF YOU LEAVE ME A MSSG, I'LL GET BACK TO YOU AT THE BEGINNING OF OCT.

THANKS, AND WISH ME A BON VOYAGE!

JAKE

Keith

Quote from: JakeM on August 27, 2009, 05:35:15 PM
FYI: I WILL BE IN MOROCCO ON VACATION FOR THE MONTH OF SEPT.  AFTER THAT, I'LL BE AVAILABLE ANY TIME, EXCEPT FOR ALL ROCKETS HOME GAMES (I'M IN CHARGE OF THE AUDIO IN THE ARENA).

IF YOU LEAVE ME A MSSG, I'LL GET BACK TO YOU AT THE BEGINNING OF OCT.

THANKS, AND WISH ME A BON VOYAGE!

JAKE

I know a spot you can have for some Lakers VS rockets tickets ;)