HYC Offshore

Started by Christopher, April 18, 2011, 10:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles

Quote from: Bee on April 24, 2011, 08:03:12 AM
After one of the all night Heald or Freeport Triangles (HYC Offshore) all I want to do is sleep. 

I heard that!!!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

BJSailor

Let's look at possible improvements for a minute...

For a 90nm overnight offshore race that starts and finishes at Galveston #11:
When would be the best time to have the Competitors Briefing?
What should the start time be (remember, one objective here is an overnight race)?
When would be the best time for the awards / party?

What can be done to increase interest?  What can be done to get more sailors / boats to participate?  
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

Bee

Quote from: BJSailor on April 24, 2011, 09:06:48 AM
Let's look at possible improvements for a minute...

For a 90nm overnight offshore race that starts and finishes at Galveston #11:
When would be the best time to have the Competitors Briefing?
What should the start time be (remember, one objective here is an overnight race)?
When would be the best time for the awards / party?

What can be done to increase interest?  What can be done to get more sailors / boats to participate?  

For me:

Best time to have the competitors briefing is the night before.

I prefer sailing as much as possible in daylight so starting as early as possible would be my preference.  Unfortunately, this would mean taking the boat to Galveston the day before and require playing musical cars before the race and after the finish.  It would make a mess of the entire experience.

I do not know how to increase interest.  Regardless of what kind of boat we are on, this is a slow process. On Stinger its also a wet one and depending on the wind can be a bit of an endurance affair. Even at 10 knots average it takes 9 hours to finish.  The best we have ever done is something on the order of 13-14 hours.

I suppose that for some the party is a big deal.   If one could start at say 18:00 on Friday, dock in Galveston on Saturday, sleep all day, and then party all night on the island one might arouse more interest, but this requires taking off on Friday for some.  It also makes for a lot more work and expense for the organizers. As I said earlier, I'm not all that interested in the party so my comments are probably a bit jaded.

sailfastliveslow

BJ, thanks for asking!  Shows a deep concern for the consumer.  Don't matter to me.  My boats a meter too short anywho.

BJSailor

Doesn't matter to you???  C'mon, it seemed to matter to you a great deal last evening!  Don't whimp out on us now that we're looking for solutions and improvements!!!

Seriously, what would you do differently for this event?  A 90nm overnight offshore race beginning near the Galveston Jetties.
Competitors Briefing?  NOR?  Entry?  Start times?  Courses?  Fleets / Handicaping?  Finishing?  Awards / Party?

It's not exactly a piece of cake to organize and run even a small event like this.  It takes a lot of people who have to give up their weekends so the can NOT sail, but are running the event.  And I'll guarantee you that every single one of those folks who put un events like this at all the clubs in the area would love nothing more than to do their volunteer job better and to present an event for the sailors that everyone is happy with.

I ask in all seriousness here, not trying to troll for a reaction.  What would you like to see different in an event like this that would make it better for you?  This goes for everyone, not just SFLS.

Quote from: sailfastliveslow on April 24, 2011, 02:50:10 PM
BJ, thanks for asking!  Shows a deep concern for the consumer.  Don't matter to me.  My boats a meter too short anywho.
There are 10 types of people in this world - those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

hayesrigging

I think one of the big issues with the overnights is a lack of marketing. I would love to see the three yacht clubs get together and really push the Texas navy trophy and promote the overnights more to get more participation. 

Not sure if it's possible but what about finishing the race in the bay ???  I know for me the thought of 4 hrs of motoring each way is a big negative on doing the race. We used to race down the ship channel in the Rebel Cup where we sailed to Galveston twice in the 90 mile bay race. I know post 9/11 things are tougher with shipping traffic but just a thought!!! 

Why do we need a skippers meeting???  How about a virtual skippers metting with si's posted a week before the event. Questions can be asked and posted on the web site and the rc can respond to each question by the start.

Bee

I can resemble that remark.  Great points.

Returning from the Heald we hit 12.4 knots coming UP the HSC.  I hadn't had but 1 beer during the entire race but manage quite a few on the run back up.  With So winds this was really a hoot.  We were outrunning barge and big boat traffic with no problems at all. After no winds and basically extremely close reaching the run up the channel was delightful. We finished the Heald around 9:30 and managed to get back to the slip by noon.

On the other hand we have been in situations where we were averaging 1 knot up the channel under motor.  Banging into high North winds is not pleasant, not pleasant at all.  One has to put up with the good and the bad.

Bee

Oops, I forgot.  Virtual trophies.  That I like.

Jonsey

Kevin makes a few very good points. 

As long as we are throwing out constructive ideas, let's talk about Texas race week.   Of all the events I do around the country that has the potential to be in the top, for a few reasons.

Great race format, nice mix of offshore stuff and some around the buoys work on Saturday.  The usual mind-erasing gbca party...  Great venue with the island attractions for family and party venue at the yacht club. 

How about some marketing for that event this year!  There should be a few hundred boats at that event.   Trailerable yachts like h33s, ft10 etc.  Certainly we can figure out where to stuff all the boats. 

Trw is the best kept secret in Texas.

Quote from: hayesrigging on April 24, 2011, 05:46:44 PM
I think one of the big issues with the overnights is a lack of marketing. I would love to see the three yacht clubs get together and really push the Texas navy trophy and promote the overnights more to get more participation. 

Not sure if it's possible but what about finishing the race in the bay ???  I know for me the thought of 4 hrs of motoring each way is a big negative on doing the race. We used to race down the ship channel in the Rebel Cup where we sailed to Galveston twice in the 90 mile bay race. I know post 9/11 things are tougher with shipping traffic but just a thought!!! 

Why do we need a skippers meeting???  How about a virtual skippers metting with si's posted a week before the event. Questions can be asked and posted on the web site and the rc can respond to each question by the start.

Jonsey

Oh... And cost

Quote from: Jonsey on April 24, 2011, 07:05:21 PM

Kevin makes a few very good points. 

As long as we are throwing out constructive ideas, let's talk about Texas race week.   Of all the events I do around the country that has the potential to be in the top, for a few reasons.

Great race format, nice mix of offshore stuff and some around the buoys work on Saturday.  The usual mind-erasing gbca party...  Great venue with the island attractions for family and party venue at the yacht club. 

How about some marketing for that event this year!  There should be a few hundred boats at that event.   Trailerable yachts like h33s, ft10 etc.  Certainly we can figure out where to stuff all the boats. 

Trw is the best kept secret in Texas.

Quote from: hayesrigging on April 24, 2011, 05:46:44 PM

BJSailor

That's what I'm talkin' about!!!
Great ideas and comments so far.  I'll summarize later this evening.

Jonsey, what's your point about cost?  You think fees are too high?

Not trying to be argumentative, but take 7% off the top that goes to Regatta Network.  Have you priced fuel lately?  Meals/food for parties has not gone down in price.  Nor has rum or beer.  Awards / trophies?  Priced those lately?  My point is that costs have gone up significantly to put these events on.  Of all people, I sympathize with cheap sailors and their abhorance to spend money if it doesn't make the boat go fast. 

If costs are higher than you want to pay, where can organizers cut costs that wouldn't drive you away?  Again, serious question...  Where do the sailors think that RCs can reduce the costs of an event that you might find satisfactory?

hayesrigging

I think jeff agrees cost is a positive when you look at Galveston bay regattas. I would vote
To get rid of regatta network!!!  7% to process entries is alot of money that gbca is missing out on!!!  And yes I have run many regattas and had to do the paperwork myself. It is a hassle but no that overbearing.

I love Texas race week and agree it could be a premier regatta.  I'm going to miss it this year we will be in Newport with the Melges but I hope it is a big success.

BJSailor

I'm going to toss out one of the things that bugs me. 

With the standardization of technology from cell phones to 4G interweb connectivity, there is no reason that results can't be posted near real-time.  Mark them as provisional, but post results before the sailors are back at the dock (or at least before they get to the party).  This goes for daily results as well as final day results.

Many RCs are on nice boats - nice enough to support the use of a cell phone to take a pic of the handwritten results and e-mail them ashore or to call the results ashore for scoring (on a nice day you can do this from an 18' Whaler).  Many RCs have boats nice enough to support a laptop (or iPad) and 3G aircard to get on to Regatta Network and score truly real-time. 

BJSailor

So, here?s a summary of the comments so far, in no particular order of importance:
-   Competitors Briefing the night before
-   More of the race during daylight
-   More marketing and publicity to get the word out and participation up
-   Increase the importance of the individual offshore events as part of the larger series (Texas Navy Trophy)
-   Finish the race in the Bay
-   Optional Competitors Briefing with official documentation posted online
-   Cost (both positive and negative aspects)
-   Timely results

Keep the suggestions coming!!!  This is an opportunity to identify improvement.

Kevin Bednar

I think marker 11 is a perfect start/stop for offshore races.  I'm not giving 15 minutes to some C.N.G. barge in the I.C.W. just to finish up by Redfish.  The party IS the trip back up from 11 to the slip, if you know what I mean.