HYC Offshore

Started by Christopher, April 18, 2011, 10:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonsey

Very happy to give advice on driving in over 35 knots.  Wait... On the other hand, perhaps I'm not a good example.

Ok bee, time to put your big boy pants on and go play.

Bee

Heard a strange rumor about lost rigs, keels, and other such stuff.  One guy even said this was the most expensive trophy he ever won and his costs were far less then the competition.  There was some Austin character that did some pretty strange things.  Or so I heard.

MaryM

OK guys, six pages of pre-race chat and this morning there is nothing??  I would assume most of you are in the channel by now.  Any info?

Charles

Stinger finished around 3:20 this morning.  Very wet and rough race. Mal de Mar played a role in the festivites too!  Still a good race.  Thanks to HYC race committee.
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Bee

Spin:

I 'm going to guess:
Tres Hombres
Hot Ticket
Stinger (3:19:28)
    Ride up the HSC was a blast.  20-24 knots on the tail something like a 2 knot
    current.  Doing 8-9 knots under main alone
Millie
Surprise (if she finished)
Island Time withdrew Friday

Non Spin
There is no doubt that Figaro finished 1st in non-spin.  Blame int on Buffet had transmission problems.

I agree with Charles.  Very wet and rough race.  HYC did a great job.

Except for adding new meaning to my understanding of the dry heaves everything went pretty smooth. Crew work was awesome.  Dousing that 110 sm mt in 23 knots was an absolutely work of art.  Only damage was a tear of the lower jib  batton pocket.

Several mistakes made by yours truly that slowed us done a lot.  One should not hoist a 155 in 24 knots of breeze even on a reach with 90 degree TWA.  There was no fun reverse sailing this time.  From Buc to Freeport we saw several 13-14 knots SOG, with lots of 11 and 12's.

gwittich

Figaro is proud to finish first (in a class of one).
Our roller furling line broke and we sailed most of the course with a 130 jib and single reef in the main.
With gusts to 30 knots (at least high 20's) and rolling sees we decided to change headsails, which was interesting but cost us 20 to 30 minutes.
We didn't do double digits like Stinger but an occasional 9 knot run with fluorescent wake was still pretty nice.
Thanks to Gordie and the HYC race committee.
GW
Gerhard Wittich/sv Figaro

Eric713

I salute you RED BARON.  Vicki and I spent Sat. and Sun. at the pool at Portofino holding on to the pool furniture.

Bee

Yeah, we saw at least one gust of 31.  We also did two head sail changes.  One with the chute up was easy, the other on a broad reach was not.  With the furler and only one halyard in place we do not have the luxury of hoisting two sails simultaneously. To do that we would have to ditch the furler and add another halyard.  Not likely. Took us quite a while.  Was really stupid on my part.

When we passed you going up the channel Figaro had to be going pretty fast.  That current was delightful.

BTW, I noticed that you had a green starboard light but did not see a red port light.

Christopher

Great race!
We saw Surprise break something on the main (outhaul?) and retire about an hour into the race.  We also saw 30knt breeze, mostly 20's, some lows of 17knts; and some huge waves - wishing I had brought out the surf board!  The run up the beach this morning was exciting watching the lights of the city dissappear and reappear as we ran through the canyons and over the mountains.
Some great speeds of 10+knts on the second spin run leg.  Nothing broken until after the race, but a little mal-de-mere.

Millie finished 04:06:14

Half the crew is from Ft Worth Boat Club and had a great time - first offshore for a couple of them.  They're excited about the conditions and dolphin sightings.  They are ready to come back again for TRW and say they can bring a bunch of friends. 

Mahalo nui loa

Christopher

fb quote from one our FW crew:

"‎102 miles of killer OFFSHORE sailing! 10-12 foot swells of Bone Chilling waves crashing over your head and getting covered up in glowing neon green plankton... thats one way to spend 6 hours in the pitch black of the Gulf of Mexico! ...Loved it."

The squeals of glee were just priceless - "Look!! Glow in the dark boat!!"   :o

Mahalo nui loa

Jeff K

Me thinks Stinger won. We lost our big lead when we had our mainsail laying on our deck for around an hour. I don't remember any cries of joy on our boat when the waves were crashing over...
Who wasn't on the vang?

ChrisK

Wow. Great stories. Sounds like a wild ride. It sounds like everyone had their challenges.   

Love to get an article for the next edition of the Cannon, and maybe a pic or two to share the adventure
Past Commodore, 2010

Charles

Quote from: Jeff K on May 02, 2011, 06:42:57 AM
Me thinks Stinger won. We lost our big lead when we had our mainsail laying on our deck for around an hour. I don't remember any cries of joy on our boat when the waves were crashing over...
[/color]
Non on my part either, Jeff!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Bee

Us Stinker guys were wondering just how wet you guys on Tres were.  We certainly were wet on Stinger.  My supposed foulies were soaked through and through.  Will have to find something better for the next go round.

STuma

Quote from: Bee on April 28, 2011, 08:05:42 PM
Heard a strange rumor about lost rigs, keels, and other such stuff.  One guy even said this was the most expensive trophy he ever won and his costs were far less then the competition.  There was some Austin character that did some pretty strange things.  Or so I heard.

I think Jeff just needs "training wheels" like I do...

cheers...
Scott