Schock 35

Started by Chris P, November 20, 2011, 04:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailguru

The Schock 35 was one of my favorite boats. People are correct about the boat being a light air, up wind machine comment. It would do windspeed up to 6.2 knots. It had a nice, simple layout that accommodated my family of six with room to spare. There are two engine sizes that came with the boat; a 2 and a 3 cylindar Yanmar. The race version had the two, and the engines in California were rebuilt about 4 times a year. the class rules state that you must race with the original engine block. The strict owners would remove all the parts down to the block and rebuild after a regatta. It is a different level than what we are used to. Most of the boats have about 30 plus sails that come with them that are lightly used. Our boat didn't even have a 100% when we bought it. Here is my list of the good and the bad of the Schock 35:

Good:
Very fast, mast head genoa, deep fin keel, nice responsive feel, room to sleep crew for a long distance race, Yanmar engine, cheap to buy.

The Bad:
Lightly constructed, 10 crew or 2000 plus pound of crew to be competitive, sail inventory costs, small sheave box at top of the mast and no bilge. Always out of beer due to multiple crew.

What to look for:
Check the bulk heads to see if they have been reinforced, ask previous owner if the rudder has been upgraded (this is a $2000 replacement), expect to replace water tank (they are plastic bags and rot), check through hulls and replace if they are plastic, the grounding straps may be removed for weight, to save weight aloft owners replaced sheaves with plastic (return to metal), halyards are normally replaced every regatta with small spectra (this is not a normal halyard), the sheave box eats 5/16 line, to last offshore you will want to have a wire to rope main halyard,  and do not romove the running backs (we tried to sail without them and found us scared of the mast folding).  If you would like to talk more about it, contact me.

Bahama Rigging
Alex Crowell
281-636-7302
bahamarigging@gmail.com