Schock 35

Started by Chris P, November 20, 2011, 04:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris P

Any body know about these boats? The good, the bad, points?? Construction? OK for HMR? Seems like a good way to have fun on the bay, able to overnight with some creature comforts, have above avg. speed potential AND not break the bank. Is the draft an issue (for all you 7 footers out there)? Thanks

Sailchick

I think this is the boat that Alex Crowell had for a long time -- find him at Bahama Rigging!
GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

Bee

Alex Crowell did indeed have a Shock 35 named Wings.  Watched them get their electronics blown off in a storm on one of the TRW races.  I sailed on one a couple times.  They are nice but very technical when in full blown race mode.  Runners and all that.  Also a bit tender. My guess is that a crew of at least 8 good sailors is required to make one go.

Nice down below but as with most Shock boats (I owned a Santana 3030 GP) somewhat damp.

Always liked W. D. Shock and Company.

Keith

Great boats in light air.  They are a machine in that stuff.  Lots of sail area upwind.  They were the premiere one-design fleet for some time on the west coast.

http://www.ullmansailswestcoast.com/One_Design_Center/Schock_35.html

Brad

Talk to Tony Smythe about the boat as well.  You can find him at Jay Bettis Yachts by the Classic Cafe.

sailfastliveslow

Claim to chop the keel off a foot and earn a sweatheart rating of 90. :o

Bee

Tony's boat was named Lista (ready in Spanish).  Brand new she was and, if I remember correctly, had a rating of 69.  I thought about buying her but after doing a Rum Race on Aftershock I was hooked on the 105.

Chris P

Thanks, all. My thinking was it would be a great solution for fast, fun, family day sailing (even if we didn't fiddle with all the strings all the time), a huge cock pit for same, ability to do an occasional offshore/coastal race, and kids and I could do some serious slip-sailing (the man cave). Depending on age and sails, prices seem to be anywhere from high $20s to 50's. Is the 7' draft a big issue for Galveston? Would they likely pass a moisture sniff-test?

Bee

OK, everyone knows I am an unabashed J105 owner.  If you want a boat that's easy and fun to sail that will delight you off wind with minimal effort on your part try this.  Bit more then 50 but I bet you could get it for 60.

Spurlin where are you when I need you?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2351998&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=77082&url=

Chris P

The Admiral insists on standing head room.... me too. My ONLY beef with the 105.

Bee

Well, I do tend to bonk my head a lot, but I don't spend a lot of time down below. More fun topsides.  I think I bonk my head because I am age challenged.

When we do the Heald, HYC Offshore, of HMR, we tend to stay topside except when we go horizontal.  I can actually sleep sitting up so even that is not much of an issue.

For long offshre races we have the best snacktician that's every graced a galley.  The food is spectacular and makes the run fabulous.

Fun.

Hamburger No 1

If you need standing headroom, buy a J/109. There are 5 J/109's on the bay (one's for sale).  They draw 7'-0". Not a problem except during a few nasty northern storms, when you don't want to be out anyway. The problem is not the bay, but getting out of your slip.

The 109's are more than $50k, but they are true dual purpose boats, with a large and comfortable (!) cockpit. They are also sprit boats, which makes the crew issue just a bit less of an effort.

Bee

Good choice Al.  105's and 109's are easy to sail with just 2.

Grind4Beer

Well, seeing as a couple of my favorite Jay/OneOhSomething skippers have chimed in, and the J-24 headroom seems well under your specs, I'll just second their comments, both boats are great to race, easily cruised, good local fleets. etc. 

Compared to J/Metrics, the Schock is definitely more old-school; fin-keel, bigger fore-triangle, symm-chute, etc, good L-70 boat back in the day. You'll need roller-furl and maybe jiffyreef/dutchman to keep shorthanded from getting too busy.

I don't recall the Schock's interior, but I'm a big 6ft, and the 105 seems fine inside ...

G4B

sailfastliveslow

Shock 35 interior is large and comfy