2012 WednesDay Night Races on Clear Lake

Started by STuma, January 03, 2012, 05:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STuma

This week's topic is "Tactics and Strategies" by Tom Meeh.  I for one, have been curious for years how he does it, maybe he'll tell us all his secrets.  A quick blurb of Tom's experience: "I have been sailing the Clear Lake area since I was 12...I have won 17 CLRA Wednesday Night overall awards..." 

Even if you are just beginning to race, come by and meet some people and get a taste of the atmosphere.  With the wide range of experience present, we can answer any of your questions; no matter how basic, or how technical.

Next week's topic will be "Courses" by Scott Tuma.  Skippers and crews are welcome (and encouraged) to attend this seminar, and every seminar.  I will discuss courses briefly during the Skipper's Meeting on 3/21/12, but the 3/14/12 seminar will go into more detail of the reasoning of the changes; with simplicity and safety being the main reasons.

cheers...
Scott

Bee

Ok, MEEH.  With a little bit of luck the old phart will be in the audience.  With all the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ he has spent with you he will expect some big time help with those tactical things.

s/v Amenah

I may finally make it up there this evening!

Still not ready to enter the Pearson, but I'll be shadowing you guys until I can.

ChrisK

Kick off party tomorrow night 3/21 at Villa Capri 6:30

First race is March 28th (one week away!)  :D

Register your boat here (the link is hidden in the header...not in the main menu)
http://www.clearlakeracing.org/index.php?option=com_rsform&view=rsform&Itemid=75

2012 Sailing Instructions with the new courses (text version):
http://www.clearlakeracing.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=82

I haven't found a graphic version (aka. the laminated sheet) of the courses..maybe someone has a link?
Past Commodore, 2010

STuma

The course sheets will be there tonight... we are fighting with the web site...
cheers...
Scott

Big John

The graphic version of the courses is on the web site now under Event Information.

Xavier

The "I want to Crew list" on the website has a lot of people but no dates. Scott, it would be a good idea to make sure dates come with the postings since it is hard to tell if a post is recent or the person is already dead. I'm looking for a living foredeck

STuma

X, you're y right it would.  I was hoping to clear out the whole list and refresh it each year.  We are working on that one..

I will have a "weather box" located on the South face of the tractor shed at Seabrook Ship Yard, that will have black and white copies of the courses and some SI's.  You do get a laminated copy of the courses with your paid entry fee.   Let me know if you need a copy.
cheers...
Scott

ChrisK

The action starts tonight. First gun 6:15.

Note: change in course sheet from the CLRA FB page:

"There is a correction to the Non-Spin-A, PHRF, J22, J24 & C22 course sheet. I had Mis-identified the red nun #14 as #18.
The RED NUN is #14, NOT #18.
We will have the corrected sheet up quickly on the web site."
Past Commodore, 2010

Terry Young

What a great first Wed. night race. When I first saw the committee boat I noticed something different, at first I thought it lighting rod, and thought I would take a picture of it and send it to sailing Anarchy for there column, ?what is it? , but by the end of the it was clear, ?it?s a class flag pole? well done Scott, keep up the good work. I know you and your race committee will all they can to make this another fun year of Wed. Night Racing. Terry

ChrisK

PHRF Spinnaker results for Series 1, Race 1 (on 3/28) updated.
Several corrections, misidentifed boats on the PHRF ratings.
The top 5 boats corrected out under one minute. Along with a tie for 4th. That's a pretty darn close race.
http://www.clearlakeracing.com/images/Scores/2012s1/sp.pdf
Past Commodore, 2010

STuma

Thanks Chris.  Yes, we has a few glitches, but they were identified and corrected.  Many of the classes had very close finishes, must be those courses leveling out the playing field!!!  ;)

If anyone is wanting to crew, sign up on the GBCA crew list, or the CLRA crew list, and come by the Villa Capri on a Wednesday night.  If you are not interested in the close racing of the Lake, don't worry, many of the racers on the Lake also race on bigger boats on the Bay.  Find me and let me know you are looking for a boat, or a crew.  I will set up a system to get you guys together.  But, I have to know each of you are looking...

I look forward to seeing you guys tomorrow night!!!

cheers...
Scott Tuma
cheers...
Scott

STuma

We are watching the weather and will make a race determination as soon as we can.  If it looks like it is guaranteed to be nasty, big wind & lightning, we will call it early; but if it looks to be marginal, I will make the determination closer to race time.

People can also check the CLRA Info Line @ 281.636.3508, or facebook page.

cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

Big John

"Put out the lights, the party's" ... October 17. Check the web site for RSVP, Ballots and such.

http://clearlakeracing.org

STuma

The End of Year Party is finally tonight!!!  It will be an awesome night to hang out on the patio, watching the sunset and chatting with good friends.  If you haven't been out to watch the Wednesday Nights, you have missed a great event; so come out tonight and find out what the buzz is about. 

We hope to see everyone out there...

cheers...
Scott