2012 WednesDay Night Races on Clear Lake

Started by STuma, January 03, 2012, 05:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STuma

The 2012 season for Wednesday Night Races is already ramping up.  We will publish the schedule soon.  There will be a new class this year: Non-Spin Novice.  We are working on the class rules and the exact course (very simple).  I will publish those once they are finalized.  If anyone knows of someone that is half interested in getting their own boat out for some fun races, we have the class and course for them.  
cheers...
Scott

s/v Amenah

I've been tossing the idea around... I just need to figure out how to stretch a frayed shoestring budget into boat parts needed to race the boat.

ChrisK

Boaters resale might have some 'odds and ends' items to get you racing.
http://www.boatersresaleshopoftexas.com/
Past Commodore, 2010

Charles

Quote from: O. Lyle on January 04, 2012, 08:01:02 AM
I've been tossing the idea around... I just need to figure out how to stretch a frayed shoestring budget into boat parts needed to race the boat.

What kind of boat do you have?  Some of the folks may have some good stuff laying around.
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

s/v Amenah

@ChrisK
I keep an eye on their site and eBay store.. just in case something pops up, but I really should stop by and take a peek.

@Charles

It's a Pearson 23'. Overall, it's in good shape, but I'm going to have to replace the plastic sheaves in most of the blocks (Schaefer) or find suitable replacements. (Most of which have different bolt patterns)

Sails are another matter... She's got a lightweight #1 (good shape), cruising #3 (not horrible) and an asymmetrical in a sock (good shape). The main is ugly and won't stand up to much abuse. It looks like it was left on the boom for a long time.

My sailing budget is weak, so I've been picking up items when and where I can. Having an oddball boat doesn't help much either.

ChrisK

Sounds like you're nearly ready to go

One trick is to find a used but not abused sail with the 'P' and 'E' measurements that you can have cut down to proper size. Of course, it's a little more complicated than that, but the local sailmakers can help you. It's not too expensive to get a recut and you'll at least have a reliable mainsail.
As for the headsails, it's usually pretty windy early in the series (at least it was last year) so you'll be using the #3 more than you think.

Check out the (free) Wed Night speaker series, which starts next month, you'll meet all the usual 'Wednesday Night' suspects and learn some interesting things: Start sequence, courses to expect, a brush up on basic right-of-way situations you might expect of the lake; all kinds of good stuff.
Be sure to stick around and mingle. You'll also meet fellow racers (like Charles) who can point you in the right direction/tell you who to talk to about the main or whatever else you need to get out there and play.  There are quite a few of us with a garage full of old sails and sailing stuff!
The speaker series is a good venue to get the word out on what you're looking for before spending money.

You also might be able to hornswoggle some of the local talent to jump aboard. They'll help you get to the start line (or at least close to) on time and tell you where the point the boat to get around the course.  
Once you get the hang of doing a race or two, you'll be set.  

We try to help each other out, be safe, build the sport, get more boats out there, and (of course) have fun!
Past Commodore, 2010

s/v Amenah

@ChrisK
I hadn't thought of getting a mainsail cut down. A J/22 main may be a good candidate (slightly larger measurements) if I can find one that doesn't require draining the coin jar.

You're probably right about the #3. I'll run with it until I can build up a proper inventory.

I'll also look into the speaker series. Sounds like a great way to learn more about racing on Clear Lake. I haven't even attempted to sail on it for fear of running into stuff. Then again, everyone else seems to do okay out there.

For bay racing, I can be found crawling around foredeck aboard s/v Figaro. Wednesdays may have me giving Clear Lake a shot.

I appreciate the help and if you or anyone else has any ideas or advice, I'm all ears.

B_K

I've got several J/22 mainsails.  I'll give you one, jib too.  Brant Koepke, you can reach me a Gulf Coast Composite Two Eight One Three 3 Four 4 4 One 7

STuma

We all have been invited to Houston Yacht Club's basic rules seminar, this Sunday 9-12 noon.

http://houstonyachtclub.com/documents/weekly_email.pdf

Here is the news letter email from HYC describing what will be covered. 
cheers...
Scott

ChrisK

CLRA 2012 Schedule:

http://www.clearlakeracing.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75&Itemid=74

Speaker Series starts at 6:15pm, Villa Capri, 3713 NASA Road 1
* Topic of Winter Speaker Series may change, due to scheduling*

2/8/12:  Winter Speaker Series Topic: Sailboat Racing
2/15/12:  Winter Speaker Series Topic: Rules
2/22/12:  Winter Speaker Series Topic: Trimming 101
2/29/12:  Winter Speaker Series Topic: Starts & Finishes
3/7/12:  Winter Speaker Series Topic: Tactics
3/11/12:  Daylight Time Begins
3/14/12:  Winter Speaker Series Topic: Courses
3/21/12:  Skipper's Mtg.-Kick Off Party

Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisK

*bump*

The first of the CLRA speaker series starts tomorrow (Wednesday 2/8) at Villa Capri 6:30, this weeks topic will be: Sailboat Racing by Mark Matthews
(That's a broad topic to cover, but I'm looking forward to it!)

Show up a little early, as this is a good chance to mingle with your fellow competitors, meet the race committee, pick up a ride, get the latest racing scuttlebutt, or just check things out.  
O. Lyle, hope you can make it.

I promise, you'll get more out of it than Nova, CSI, the Hillbilly Handfishin' marathon and American Idol on the TV... ;D
Past Commodore, 2010

s/v Amenah

@ChrisK: If I'm not at work, I'll try and make it! Thanks for the heads up!

ChrisK

*bump*

Tomorrows topic (2/15) is "Starts and Finishes" by Farley Fontenot.
Past Commodore, 2010

STuma

If you plan to spectate or race, the infamous Clear Lake Sailboat Races start up March 28th, 2012.  You can get all the information from our web site; http://www.clearlakeracing.org

If you have not heard about our Winter Seminars, or been able to attend, we have had some great speakers; Mark Matthews, Farley Fontenot & Jay Lutz, over the past few weeks.  This week we will have Jim Tyson discussing rules.  3/7/12 Tom Meeh will discuss Tactics and Strategies of sailboat racing.  Scott Tuma will discuss the new Lake courses we will be using this year.  The Kickoff Party and Skipper's Meeting will be on 3/21/12 with the first race starting 3/28/12.  These seminars are designed and aimed at beginner to intermediate level racing. 

Some of the other changes we are doing (besides a fewer number of courses); are the addition of a Non-Spinnaker B (novice) class, dinner buffet for the racers by Villa Capri (non racers will be able to purchase bands for the buffet), shifting the portsmouth course away from the keelboats, and a boat mounted electric horn instead of the canned air horns. 

The one change I'm most excited about is the Non-Spin B class.  The idea for this class is to keep people of simular experience together and remain competitive with each other.  This class is designed to help people gain the skills and self-confidence to handle their boat in a racing arena. 

The skipper/driver must be a novice (less than 5 years racing experience) with a novice crew.  There shall be an experienced racer on the boat, but they can only give commands verbally; no touching strings.  The experienced may "take over the controls" if there is an apparent dangerous situation; but only to get through the situation where the skipper must take the controls again.  In order to keep the class together and competitive, entries in the Non-Spin B class must have a rating greater than 150 as designated by GBPHRF.  A Non-Spin B skipper/boat may retain in this class until they win their second championship year; with their next year they automatically move to Non-Spin A.  The R/C will have the discression to move a boat to Non-Spin A if they appear to sailing beyond a "novice" capacity.  The Non-Spin B class will not qualify for the Club Championship at the end of the year.  Again, the purpose of this class is to give people the opportunity to race against other people of simular skill level. 

Because of these changes, we are having to modify/correct the SI's a bit more than normal, but we will have the NOR's available shortly. 

There are a few more marketing ideas to work on, but I will present them if they seem feisable.

If there are any questions, come out to the Villa Capri on Wednesdays, call or email me through the www.clearlakeracing.com web site.

cheers...
Scott Tuma
cheers...
Scott

Big John

As Scott said, the SI is a work in progress.  A couple of things in the following are sort of impractical and may not survive the final cut.  For sure, replace the word "shall" (imperative) with the word "may" (permissive) in the line about having experienced racer on board.  We do encourage getting an experienced mentor on board, but we probably won't require it.  The Non-spin B winner (or any B class participant) may choose to move up to the A class at any time (but may only move up, not back down again).  The rules may be otherwise adjusted to get a viable class (5 boats). In order to figure  out where we stand, we need information about people's intent to race. Please go on the web site and indicate your entry. The sooner we get infof on what is going on, the better we can plan.  And remember, you are not actually entered in the race till we get your money.

Also, we have had a couple of inquiries from folks who would normally be in other classes (like Sunfish) about entering as Novices.  Unfortunately at this time we do not have a good means of accommodating non-keelboats in our Novice class.  We need to be able to assign a PHRF handicap (which we get from PHRF Galveston Bay). So Novice Sunfish, portsmouth and other non-PHRF rated boats will enter their usual class and we expect the Skippers in those classes to lend a hand to the beginners as we have always done in the past.   
John Butler
Wednesday Night Sailboat Racing on Clear Lake!

Scott Tuma said

"The skipper/driver must be a novice (less than 5 years racing experience) with a novice crew.  There shall be an experienced racer on the boat, but they can only give commands verbally; no touching strings.  The experienced may "take over the controls" if there is an apparent dangerous situation; but only to get through the situation where the skipper must take the controls again.  In order to keep the class together and competitive, entries in the Non-Spin B class must have a rating greater than 150 as designated by GBPHRF.  A Non-Spin B skipper/boat may retain in this class until they win their second championship year; with their next year they automatically move to Non-Spin A.  The R/C will have the discression to move a boat to Non-Spin A if they appear to sailing beyond a "novice" capacity.  The Non-Spin B class will not qualify for the Club Championship at the end of the year.  Again, the purpose of this class is to give people the opportunity to race against other people of simular skill level.  "