Past GBCA Commodore research

Started by ChrisK, February 03, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisK

Putting together a list of past GBCA Commodores, continuing a project Jody started 5 years ago for the 60th anniversary.
I have contacts/status for most, but not all.

Here's who I'm looking for to complete the list along with the year they were active.
If you know where these guys are, drop me a line:

Ron Shepard, 1990
Tom McClughan, 1989 and 1986
Clarence "Buck" Gay, 1984 found
Hank Arnold, 1983 found
Ken Davis, 1982 found
Lloyd Ludlam, 1980 found
David Whitaker, 1973 found
Elbridge Gerry, 1968 found
George C. Francisco III, 1961
Don Genitempo, 1959 found
James C. Ivins, 1958 found

In case you're wondering. GBCA has had 58 Commodores in 65 years of existence. Some were even crazy enough to do it twice. Founder R.G. "Bud" Smith was Commodore the first 7 years.

For you history buffs, old Bud was an interesting guy even before settling down in Texas.
He is the Honorary Commodore of the "Canvas Hangers" WWII USCG Reserve...
Check out the story and the boats at
http://www.eastendseaport.org/CanvasHangers.html

He also published a book dating back to the 1930's. "Sailing Made Easy: Told in Pictures"
Copies are around on Amazon.com
Past Commodore, 2010

thomas

Chris,
The 1959 Commodore is Don Genitempo. You've misspelled the last name.

ChrisK

Sorry about the typo.
Also, David Whitaker, found (original owner of m/v Tramp!)
Past Commodore, 2010

thomas

An excerpt from the book ?Love at First Sight: A lifetime of Sailing on Galveston Bay? by Howard J. Williams       Amazon.com - $22.95

?During the spring of 1962, Don Gentitempo talked of purchasing a larger version of the Triton, an Alberg 35 designed by Carl Alberg. He spoke in glowing terms about the sailing characteristics and appearance of the boat. If Gentitempo, one of the best sailors on Galveston Bay thought it was such a great boat, I wanted to know more. Bus Smith, the organizer of the Galveston Bay Cruising Organization and a column writer for Yachting Magazine was the dealer in the area for Pearson Yachts.?  page 38

thomas

(I had to correct Bud's name in the previous post)

An excerpt from the book ?Love at First Sight: A lifetime of Sailing on Galveston Bay? by Howard J. Williams  Amazon.com - $22.95

?During the spring of 1962, Don Gentitempo talked of purchasing a larger version of the Triton, an Alberg 35 designed by Carl Alberg. He spoke in glowing terms about the sailing characteristics and appearance of the boat. If Gentitempo, one of the best sailors on Galveston Bay thought it was such a great boat, I wanted to know more. Bud Smith, the organizer of the Galveston Bay Cruising Organization and a column writer for Yachting Magazine was the dealer in the area for Pearson Yachts.?