US Sailing...

Started by STuma, August 04, 2009, 05:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STuma

Ok, this is a basic question to help inform everyone that is not heavily involved in the organization... It was stemed from one of our own, Pablo, getting his rules published on Sailing Anarchy...

What does US Sailing do for us?  Realistically? 

I don't agree with the direction US Sailing has gone, but maybe someone can shed some light for all of us on what we are "supporting" and paying for...

cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

KevinBednar

They train your race committee and establish a set of rules that work across the continent.

STuma

I am guessing that with the number of views and no responses, no one knows what we truely get from US Sailing or they don't want to say... The majority of people I have talked to (the ones whos opinion I trust) are tired of US Sailing; paying money and getting nothing in return... in many of the race committee seminars or training, you have to pay for those also... In regards to the rules, they have gotten the racing rules so complicated that many people don't want to read them because they get confused easily...  I do understand that the rules, like laws, are written because an issue came up and one or more people decided to manipulate the existing rules...

cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

ChrisA

US Sailing does not write the rules. ISAF does, with modifications every four years. Boneheaded, or not, USS, along with all the other national organizing bodies, serves to consistently implement those rules and procedures, world-wide. Yes, they seem, for the most part, to be a group of overpaid egoists who charge too much for services rendered, but their ranks, like ours, include many volunteers who make our sport work. Until we write new rules and create an organization to distribute and enforce them, they're what we've got. Somebody has to be in charge.

As Kevin said, one of the big services that USS provides is the training of Certified Race Officials. You should join us on 8/29 at HYC to see what that's all about.

ChrisK

More details in the attachment...

We need GBCA members to do this to keep the club strong.
Besides, being RC does have it's privilages
8)

Past Commodore, 2010

STuma

Quote from: ChrisA on August 06, 2009, 10:56:01 AM
US Sailing does not write the rules. ISAF does, with modifications every four years. Boneheaded, or not, USS, along with all the other national organizing bodies, serves to consistently implement those rules and procedures, world-wide. Yes, they seem, for the most part, to be a group of overpaid egoists who charge too much for services rendered, but their ranks, like ours, include many volunteers who make our sport work. Until we write new rules and create an organization to distribute and enforce them, they're what we've got. Somebody has to be in charge.

As Kevin said, one of the big services that USS provides is the training of Certified Race Officials. You should join us on 8/29 at HYC to see what that's all about.

Thanks for explaination Chris...  It seems we all just "accept" it like government... we are willing to go with it because anything else would require change... as a geneeral question, how many of our members are US Sailing Certified RC?  i have been out of touch for 10 years and really don't know everyone's qualifications; nothing insulting, I just don't know...  I agree with the clubs staying strong, but that requires full participation; which we all have...  How many have organized and run a full regatta?  Is there still a rotation of the classes that are responisble for different regattas?  Have we given up our race time to help run an event?  I also do know it is our choice to implement and support US Sailing in our events...

If anyone feels I am targeting a particular person, or event, I am not... I am just asking questions so we all get a fire lit under us and pully participate...  I know we have a lot of people out there that know the sailing rules very well and very profecient in the regatta process...  We/they need to share that information, that will make our club strong... When we keep information secret, everything will fall apart...
cheers...
Scott

ChrisK

The ?is US Sailing worth it?? debate you are proposing sounds more like something you should tackle at a national level?say on Sailing Anarchy?  I see few, if any problems here on the third coast.  Their support of the Olympics,  youth programs, RIWKC, disabled sailors (just to name a few) is all the convincing I need.

10 years is a long time...so welcome back.  It has been awhile since we had a Tuma in the membership.
http://www.gbca.org/memberappfm.html
;)
Past Commodore, 2010