Port of Houston Commissioners Meeting, Aug 15

Started by JListon, August 08, 2012, 11:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JListon

The Port of Houston Port Commissioners have scheduled a Commissioners' workshop, where they will discuss a variety of matters, and the permit application for the dredge shoal will be included on that agenda. 

The workshop is open to the public (although there may not be any opportunity for public comment), and will take place on August 15, 2012 from 1:30 pm until  4:30 pm at the Main Port of Houston Offices located at 111 East Loop North, in Houston.  If you can attend, please do, as it would reinforce the factr that opposition to the dredge spoils area is widespread.

Emma

News from HYC:

Recently I wrote you that the Port Commissioners were meeting today to discuss among other things the Permit Application for the Marsh/Island.  I am pleased to report that the Commissioners voted unanimously to approve the recommendation to remove the proposed Marsh/Island from the permit application.  This is the outcome we were looking for!  There is more work to do as we follow the amendment and remaining permitting process through the USACE.  Over the course of the last eight months we have established a productive dialogue with Port Commissioners, Staff and numerous officials at the local, state and federal level.  These relationships will benefit us in the future as we work cooperatively in evaluating future developments. 

This is an extremely important outcome for Houston Yacht Club and it members, as well as, the communities that line upper Galveston Bay and those who cherish the area.  I would like to thank those of you who came to the meeting today and all of you that have been part of the active public awareness campaign.  I would especially like to thank the Committee that worked so hard to ensure that our interests were appropriately represented; V/C Bob Wright, R/C Nancy Edmonson P/C's James Liston and Tony Nunes, Trustee Paul Frances, Larry Wise, Ed Matuzak, Charles and Vivian Griffey.  Thank you so much!       

Patrick Gibson - Commodore
Houston Yacht Club

Bee

I just realized this decision was taken on my birthday.  What a wonderful present.

I was in Charleston SC on the 15th and did not read this
until I came home.  I guess I need to be cynical about
everything that comes up on my hatching date.

Emma

Just a reminder -
One more email please!!

There was a proposal that the Commissioners pass a resolution that would prevent some variation of this from showing up in the future, but they were reluctant to commit.  Please send a last email to thank them and asking that a future resolution be considered.
It only takes a minute.

http://ourgalvestonbay.com/take-action/

Thank you so much *everyone* for helping make this happen.