Texas Navy Trophy

Started by ShakenNotStirred, March 25, 2013, 11:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShakenNotStirred

There have been some questions about how the winner of the Texas Navy Trophy is determined. Hopefully this should clear it up.

• In order to qualify for the Texas Navy Trophy consideration, the yacht must participate in the LYC Heald Bank race PHRF Spinnaker class, the HYC Offshore race PHRF Spinnaker class, AND GBCA Texas Race Week PHRF Spinnaker class.
  • Only one of either the LYC race or the HYC race will be counted. However the yacht MUST participate in both races.
  • Only two of the races in GBCA Texas Race Week will be counted.
  • A yacht?s finish in each race will be determined by how she finished relative to the other qualified yachts in that race.  Therefore a yacht?s finish number in the LYC and HYC races cannot be determined until GBCA Texas Race Week because it will be unknown if a yacht is qualified until then.
  • If a yacht does not finish a race, her score will be number of qualified yachts plus one.
  • The number of qualified yachts will be the number of yachts that participate in GBCA Texas Race Week PHRF spinnaker class that also participated in both the LYC Heald Bank spinnaker class and the HYC Offshore race spinnaker class.  This number cannot be determined until the last event, GBCA Texas Race Week. 
2013 Commodore

Bee

Interesting.  Very interesting. 

Thanks for the update Walter.  Stinger has won the Trophy twice and has taken second almost every time it has raced it, but, based on this,  it is not clear that the race has always been scored correctly.

Bee

What I should have said is that I was once told but someone who should have known that one could win the Navy Trophy without running either of the two offshore races.

BTW, I think this years HYC version is really the one to run if you are interested.  Its going to be in the daylight rather then at night like the Heald.  Boats should finish before midnight or slightly thereafter if the winds are good.  Of course, you will have to do the Friday "Reach down the beach" or motor down the ditch.

Sounds like a plan to me.

hayesrigging

There have been a few different versions of the scoring system used to determine the Texas Navy Trophy over the years.  For a couple of years the two overnight races were very poorly attended and in fact HYC canceled theres a couple of years in a row due to lack of interest.  During these years we (GBCA, I was event chairman for a few years when we ran it out of Freeport) developed a new scoring system.  So yes, years ago it was possible to win the Navy Trophy and not compete in the overnights, but if you did not compete in the overnights you were scored Fleet + 1 for that race. 

My concern for the new scoring system is how many "qualified boats" will we have when its all said and done.  It would be interesting to go back and look at the last few years and see how many boats did all three events. 

I think its going to be tough to get the racers to participate in both offshores in back to back weekends, especially since dockage in Galveston is at a premium.   

billvanrav

Don't forget - TORC racers (Texas Navy Cup) must participate in all three offshore events - Heald Bank, HYC Offshore, AND Texas Race Week...

ShakenNotStirred

With two races (LYC and HYC) complete, and three to go (Texas Race Week), the race for the Texas Navy Trophy comes down to four boats, and it's anybody's game.
If those four boats participate in Texas Race Week, this will be the points going in:
Avici - 1
Airborne - 1
Aeolus - 2
Stinger - 2

Remember only two of the three Texas Race Week races will count toward the Texas Navy Trophy.
2013 Commodore