Performance Cup 2021

Started by Lindy, April 19, 2021, 09:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lindy

Why was the race shortened yesterday for the Cruising boats from 3 laps to just 1? Conditions were perfect and it was a beautiful day.

Tye Dyed Gary

A second question!   Why 20 / 20.1?? Replacement of Crew or Equipment.   (DP) Substitution of damaged or lost equipment is not allowed unless authorized in writing by the race committee. Requests for substitution shall be made to the committee at the first reasonable opportunity, which may be after the race.
  I cannot remember ever seeing this rule in any GBCA regatta SI's before, and I have looked at my collection of past SI"s. I have seen this at HYC and LYC one design regattas. I have always felt we were an open club that tried to put on a fun and safe regatta, that didn't worry about this kind of BS.     
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

cmay

Lindy: The PRO had to make a judgement call to get all the racers finished and back in time for the awards ceremony. You were welcome to keep sailing if you wanted to.

Gary: I don't view it as BS. That is the standard language from RRS Appendix L. Performance Cup was not intended to be an informal race like a rum race. The intent was to put on as professional, fair, and fun regatta as possible. On a One Design line, equipment, and personnel changes day to day have a significant effect on competitiveness, as you are aware.

From a race management perspective, especially given the conditions Saturday, we need to know if different boats and/or sail numebrs, are showing up as we are trying to keep track of folks and ensure safety.

Tye Dyed Gary

Chris,
  At no point did I mean to infer that GBCA was not putting on a professional or fair regatta. And yes, the rule about crew and equipment change has been a suggestion for decades. It's just that back when I was recording secretary, we had discussed this rule and chose not to include it for several reasons, mostly having to do with the difficulty of getting crew to commit to a two day regatta, because of work and/or family commitments. I occasionally have this problem, and I know many other boat owners that have crew commitment problems as well.
  You, are also correct about how crew change can and does sometimes effect competitiveness in smaller one design boats.  Yes I, want to be competitive, but more then anything I want to have fun, on and off the water, and having to go to the race committee to ask permission to make a crew change in an open regatta in not fun.    Me being an A--H--- now! How many boats asked permission that came out with a different number of crew members on Sunday then they had Saturday and who really cares?

Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat