Movie "All is Lost" in H town

Started by ChrisK, October 26, 2013, 03:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisK

Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisK

Went to Sundance (a wonderful theater experience, btw) last night to see Captain Phillips.
We noticed they had a big cardboard promo for All is Lost (or standee as they call them).

Talked to the manager about All is Lost and he was hopeful it will open here next weekend. It apparently had a very low volume opening on the west coast and has been delayed.... 
Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisK

Past Commodore, 2010

ChrisK

I give the movie 9 out of 10 stars. ?All is Lost? is a good depiction of singlehanded life aboard a sailboat, and how resourceful you have to be.  It does a fine job on how much effort is involved for completing even the simplest tasks onboard when things go south.  It also shows how the little things can really bite you in the ass. The loneliness is accurate as you can go days during a crossing without seeing another boat (or even radio traffic) and (of course) be self sufficient.  Some technical things, that knock it down a star. A true sailor does not throw hatch boards around.  Also, doing a navigation shot in the mist of an impending storm, in a compromised boat, doesn?t make sense.   I would have the life raft, LIFE JACKET and ditch bad ready at a moments notice with such a flimsy patch.  Maybe rig the storm jib early?
One beef is not a lot of effort went into actually sailing the boat.  If you?re holed, put up all the sails you got, trim them, put the damage on the high side, and get out of there.  Racers are used to getting holed as port/starboard altercations happen on occasion.  Keep the damage and patch above waterline?hmmm?maybe that?s the difference between cruisers and racers?  A majority of the movie was done very well, like staying with the boat to the absolute end.  Overall, Redford does a fine job acting. In reality there would have been a lot more ?holy$hITs!?.  The rollover scene, in particular, is nothing but awesome. Finally, I?m not sure how non-sailors will receive the movie. It will probably be a limited run, which is unfortunate....
Past Commodore, 2010

sailor here

When he turned the boat on a port tack to go back to get the sea anchor knowingly filling the boat with water 1700 miles from land...my thought was that is not what a sailor in that situation would be doing. And making such a flimsy patch when he had PLENTY of materials to make a much better one?

Sailchick

I am more at the 3 stars out of 10. 
GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

Eric713

Saw it last week on Directv PPV.  I enjoyed the movie because I'm a sailor. Some things didn't make sense.  The only real glitch I saw was when the boat went mast down, the screw downs on the  Bomar opening portlights were hanging down which means the ports were unlocked while underwater. I'll stick with WIND.