PHRF RATING AND RUM RACES

Started by J105BILL, August 24, 2009, 03:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J105BILL

Just a question, if you have lets say a 78 phrf rating and race spinnaker on the rum races
are you allowed to start a minute or so early...I have seen someone do this 2 weeks in a row...

RumSponge

To add to this, the correct start time for 78s is 5:29:40.  All boats should make sure to be checking their watches with a good source like a GPS.

A 30+ second start error was more than enough to skew the results from race #6.

Jim Powers

There is no special rule for Rum Race starts. If you think a boat is starting early, talk to the skipper about it

Christopher

Quote from: J105BILL on August 24, 2009, 03:31:15 PM
Just a question, if you have lets say a 78 phrf rating and race spinnaker on the rum races
are you allowed to start a minute or so early...I have seen someone do this 2 weeks in a row...

Are they starting before their alloted PHRF GPS time slot, or is their PHRF rating allowing for a 30+ second headstart?  Check the boats current rating, as there have been some recent ratings changes (gifts).  :o
Mahalo nui loa

marc

GPS time is not without errors, FYI. I've seen 2 GPS' side by side display different times and once started a rum race a minute early myself due to a bad GPS time. When people at the party told me I did in fact start early, I Retired After Finishing, but it was an eye opener.

KevinBednar

Bill, I set my watch to an internet time server a few hours before the start last Saturday and I started late a little behind you.  My best guess is that you were right on time....

I know who you're talking about and so does my crew because I shouted at them several times as they circled and eventually started early just like they did in the previous race.

Hopefully the fact that anyone can check the PHRF ratings and see exactly who we're talking about will shame them into starting the race on time next week and from here on out?  Seriously, is a decent watch too expensive?   ;D

Borracho

A good number to call to get the correct time:
303-499-7111

ChrisA

El Diablo

From PHRFGB May Meeting Minutes:

"C&C 12                       Parrot Tales                                                 

Base changed from 78 to 81"

Maybe this is the source of confusion...

?Force shites upon Reason's Back.?
-Ben Franklin

Keith

Ohh so you mean we should check the PHRF rating before we complain? 

larryblankenhagen@gmail.com

Parrot Tale's rating is 81.  The start time is 5:29:00 for that rating.  In rum race 6 I started at 5:29:05.  if any one would like to contact me my # is 281 772-3099.  I hope this clears up any confusion.
Larry Blankenhagen

KevinBednar

Quote from: Larry Blankenhagen on August 25, 2009, 12:30:56 PM
Parrot Tale's rating is 81.  The start time is 5:29:00 for that rating.  In rum race 6 I started at 5:29:05.  if any one would like to contact me my # is 281 772-3099.  I hope this clears up any confusion.
Larry Blankenhagen

Oops, sorry Larry that was the point of confusion. 

Big John

Nope
The real point of confusion is how on earth did Parrot Tales get ANOTHER 3 sec/mile out of the PHRF committee with NO notice that it was even under discussion. 

Keith

Quote from: Big John on August 25, 2009, 05:26:54 PM
Nope
The real point of confusion is how on earth did Parrot Tales get ANOTHER 3 sec/mile out of the PHRF committee with NO notice that it was even under discussion. 

That should only be a concern if you actually lose to PT.

JayZ

I think when the new PHRF website is finally up and running information will flow much better to the fleet.  Currently the results of any appeal (or new ratings) should be noted in the minutes posted on the current PHRF website.

http://www.phrfgb.com/minutes.html

Any member of the PHRF fleet is welcome to attend the appeals meetings. 

Quote from: Big John on August 25, 2009, 05:26:54 PM
Nope

Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL