2nd Annual GBCA Kiteboarding Regatta

Started by Sailchick, January 21, 2014, 02:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailchick

I know a lot of you aren't kiteboarders but, registration is up and the NOR is posted for this year's GBCA RIB Regatta!

The date is March 22, 2014 and if you missed it last year, let me tell you - you won't want to make the same mistake twice.  It is a lot of fun to watch and even more fun to volunteer!!!

We will need dinghy's or jet ski's for the day if any GBCA members have them to donate.  If there is water in the Bay (which there wasn't last year), we could even use some motor boats - as long as they can be ramp launched off of the dyke.

Looking forward to seeing all of you out there!
GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

ChrisA

We're going to ramp launch off of a dyke? In this day and age, isn't that a little sexist?

Bee

Just be sure you are careful around the Texas City Dyke.  On the other hand she might find a ramp launch exciting.

Eric713

I'll come down to watch only if Bee climbs on one.  Not the dyke..the kite!

Bee

I would come down to watch that, but I think it might be difficult to get the kite up with me on it.

Sailchick

It's official!  Karbach Brewing Co. has signed on to donate 8 cases of beer for the event!   Thanks Karbach!!

(Bee, now I know you'll be there because there will be free Weisse Versa!)

Bee

Sailchick

Looks like the rain might be moving to Sunday so we could have ourselves a kite regatta on Saturday!  We will keep you posted!

Christopher

Mahalo nui loa

Bee

So what happened after the barge/boat crash?

ChrisA

The police came and made everybody leave. No races. Party in the Houston Kiteboarding parking lot.

Deckhand

What a cluster! We had been at the leeve since 0800 waiting on the fog and wind. The fog lifted about 1300 and Chris D and crew got the course set up by 1400, the the wind came up about 1430 and Kiters lifted off. Oh, then the police showed up and shut down the whole leeve because of the accident. It took about and hour to get everything put away and we all headed to the Kite Board shop and ate some great BBQ. We will have to see about trying to reschedule.
GBCA Commodore 2014

Charles

Quote from: Deckhand on March 23, 2014, 08:12:07 AM
What a cluster! We had been at the leeve since 0800 waiting on the fog and wind. The fog lifted about 1300 and Chris D and crew got the course set up by 1400, the the wind came up about 1430 and Kiters lifted off. Oh, then the police showed up and shut down the whole leeve because of the accident. It took about and hour to get everything put away and we all headed to the Kite Board shop and ate some great BBQ. We will have to see about trying to reschedule.

Part of the phrase is missing!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Deckhand

Yes it is! Anyhow, here are some pictures when the wind finally picked up. What a shame! Stay tuned!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacyphotos/sets/72157642796698793/
GBCA Commodore 2014

Sailchick

The Kiteboarding Regatta has been re-scheduled for THIS SATURDAY, October 4th!  Looks like it will be good wind starting at 8 until about 2 or 3 PM. 

In honor of the nickname, the RIB Regatta, we will be having Ribs, chicken, mac-n-cheese, baked potato casserole and of course, KARBACH beer!!!

Consider coming down to watch the action!  There will be freestyle events and course racing!