Is there a DIY yard in the Seabrook area?

Started by svShearwater, January 27, 2014, 04:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svShearwater

We are hauling our J/120 soon to put her on a truck to head west.  Before she goes on the truck I need to touch up the bottom paint on the bottom of the keel and futz with the wiring in the mast.  I "thought" I was going to do that conveniently at Seabrook Shipyard, but obviously I am wrong about that.  Is there somewhere nearby I can do these simple things myself and that I can get to with a 7' draft?

Thanks.
Life is not a dress rehearsal.

http://www.svshearwater.com

shawn

Hillmans and one off of Kirby road seabrook call me
Shawn
Shawn
Semi True Story

PrisSail

Seabrook wouldn't even let me change my own zincs!  What is your air draft?  Hillman's might be a bridge issue for you, I don't remember the clearance but it is well below my 62' requirement.  I hear the shoaling to get there is pretty bad too, my boat draws 6'5" and I was told not to even try unless it was exceptionally high tide, which makes the bridge clearance more of a problem.  :P  I've hauled out twice at South Texas Yacht Services (Watergate), they will let you some of your own work (no sanding, grinding or painting), definitely your mast, but I don't know of any yard in Texas that will LET you paint your bottom.  There are some really good guys there and when it comes to painting they do excellent work.  South Texas also has a crane and very good facilities to work on your mast.  Lots of boats are loaded and unloaded from trucks there, when it comes to shipping those guys know what to do and do it well.  STYS lay time is uber expensive to deter the DIY-ers, but they don't charge you for days that they work on your boat so it isn't a bad thing to let them do your paint.
The right of way goes to the vessel with the least competent crew.

svShearwater

PrisSail,

Thank you!  STYS sounds perfect for our needs.  I contacted Mark the owner and we are all set.

Thanks again. 
Life is not a dress rehearsal.

http://www.svshearwater.com

B_K

FYI - In the US, this shutdown of the DIY will continue to be the trend.  The environmental impact risks are being assumed by the marine yard operator (not you as a DIY).  Eventually the requirements will get too high for regular folks to follow and/or marine operators will eventually suffer fines and stop the DIY'er option.  Just a matter of time unless the paint mfg. can make great bottom paint without polluting the environment.  just sayin'