2014 HYC Mid Winters 2/8-9

Started by ChrisK, February 02, 2014, 11:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee

There are only five boats signed up.  Two 105's make the biggest fleet so far.  This not good.

Bee

Bee

10 boats and a Beneteau 36.7 A-Cat.  I did not know they made A-Cats that long. :D

aj

Sailchick

Good on ya HYC.  It's a common courtesy to sign up for a regatta in a reasonable amount of time prior to the event.  If you don't bother to do it, then you don't get to race.  It probably won't help but I like the message.
GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

Greg A Casamayor

Jody is right, of course.  I was delaying my decision until noon today (Wednesday 2/5) because I diddn't think I would have enough water to get out.  I suspect that anyone with a draught over 7 feet was waiting for the wind forecast a little closer to race time.
Greg
GBCA Commodore 2006

Bee

I can understand not wanting to sail in vicinity of HYC. At this time of the year, its not unusual to have issues with water depth there.  Its also a bit of a schlep to sail up there against a stiff North breeze.  The weather this year, particularly on Sunday, looked pretty brutal and strongly suggested that the North Bay was going to be a mud pit.  Even Stinger's great crew was beginning to mutiny against its wierd, nasty, and just plain awful old skipper.  I can also understand why those of us down South would appreciate HYC running the big boat line midway between HYC and Kemah.

What I can't understand is why so many skippers wait until the last minute to sign up for these regattas.  If the volunteers who run these things could count on early sign ups, the lack of boats registering for the Midwinter would have been a clear sign that it was not going to make.  Cancelling would have been easy and not a big surprise.

Let's chalk this one up to the weather, but let's also all remember to sign up early for the Bay Cup, the Elissa, and everything else.

Sailchick

Unfortunately, I only speak as a regatta organizer and not as a boat owner.  It's one-sided argument from my side but Greg had a good point - I'm usually right.   ;)

GBCA Past Past Commodore 2013

ShakenNotStirred

Quote from: Sailchick on February 06, 2014, 04:33:46 PM
but Greg had a good point - I'm usually right.   ;)
Nice.
Ditto on the early signup. And while you're thinking about signing up, go ahead and sign up for the Emerald Coast regatta.
Btw BA and I are finishing an awesome steak at McGuires right now. See you Saturday at the kickoff party. This is a great venue. We will fill you in on all the details of our recon mission to Pensacola.
2013 Commodore

Bee

Stinger would love to do this race but we still have not quite figured out how to carry enough beer.  Charles is still working on it.