Chicago NOOD Regatta

Started by hayesrigging, June 18, 2009, 08:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayesrigging

For those that care and also for those that dont care, Surprise is racing this weekend in Chicago at the NOOD Regatta.  I left Houston with it on Sunday and after 3 flat tires finally made it to Chicago on Monday afternoon.  Al Goethe, from Hamburg, will be driving the boat with crew from Hamburg and Surprise along with myself.  Hopefully we will do respectable, I believe there are around 12 109's racing.  Weather here has been on the cool side, yesterday bringing the boat to the Harbor it was very chilly, sure beats the 100+ degree weather down there right now. 

Good luck to the two J-122's in Block Island next week!!

Kevin Hayes

beverly

Hey Kevin, soak up some of that cool weather for us.  And show those folks in Chicago what some Texas sailors can do!  We'll keep an eye on the results.  GO FAST!

Jeff K

Who wasn't on the vang?

Jim Powers

Report on Day 1? And Happy Birthday

Chuck

http://www.sailingworld.com/nood-regattas/chicago-il/2009-sperry-top-sider-chicago-nood-regatta-day-1-results-1000072825.html

2 races, 2 bullets.  Go Surprise, Go GBCA.  Would love to hear an on-the-water report.  Or even a rum soaked recap.

hayesrigging

It was a great day on the water for us.  Long way to go but good start.  The day started off with nasty storms and the RC sent us out anyways after a 2.5 hr postponement they got us off on what they called a 1.2 mile course, I say it was more like a sunfish wed night leg!!!!  When you get out front early a short race course is good though!!!!  We won the pin end both starts and got early leads and great upwind boatspeed kept us out front.  Not too shifty which was good not knowing if there was any local knowledge out there.  We won the first race by about a minute or so.  The second race started a bit lighter and again started at the pin had to work to cross the fleet as a righty was coming.  Crossed the second place boat by 1/2 boatlength got to the right and got the shift and lead at first mark by a good margin.  The righty cause it to be a parade downwind and no change of course made the second upwind almost  a fetch.  We covered the second place boat and as they tacked to go further right we continued and ultimately laid the mark increasing our lead.  Quick gybe at the weather mark and tight carry to finish line we won the second race by almost 1/2 leg. 

It was definitely a day where luck was on our side.  We had great boatspeed and great starts but also caught some good shifts.  Still tight racing and a long way to go.  We will see what tomorrow brings but suppose to be warmer and moderate breeze.  I am not sure when the last time I was freezing cold and burning hot on the same day on the race course but it happened today!!!!!  Probably a 25 degree temperature change throughout the day and these damn flies suck up here!!!!! 

Hopefully more good news to report tomorrow!!  (and hopefully not reporting so early on the computer, my drinking buddies have wimped out!!!)

Kevin

KevinBednar

Flies?  You complain about flies?

It's 81 degrees here at 11:30 pm.  Team Stinger will be rooting for you tomorrow as we head down for the Heald, but we'll be wishing a flock of flies on ourselves if in exchange for cool.

Go out and give them a good Texas spanking again tomorrow.

Jim Powers

Quote from: hayesrigging on June 19, 2009, 11:18:26 PM
It was a great day on the water for us.  Long way to go but good start.  The day started off with nasty storms and the RC sent us out anyways after a 2.5 hr postponement they got us off on what they called a 1.2 mile course, I say it was more like a sunfish wed night leg!!!!  When you get out front early a short race course is good though!!!!  We won the pin end both starts and got early leads and great upwind boatspeed kept us out front.  Not too shifty which was good not knowing if there was any local knowledge out there.  We won the first race by about a minute or so.  The second race started a bit lighter and again started at the pin had to work to cross the fleet as a righty was coming.  Crossed the second place boat by 1/2 boatlength got to the right and got the shift and lead at first mark by a good margin.  The righty cause it to be a parade downwind and no change of course made the second upwind almost  a fetch.  We covered the second place boat and as they tacked to go further right we continued and ultimately laid the mark increasing our lead.  Quick gybe at the weather mark and tight carry to finish line we won the second race by almost 1/2 leg. 

It was definitely a day where luck was on our side.  We had great boatspeed and great starts but also caught some good shifts.  Still tight racing and a long way to go.  We will see what tomorrow brings but suppose to be warmer and moderate breeze.  I am not sure when the last time I was freezing cold and burning hot on the same day on the race course but it happened today!!!!!  Probably a 25 degree temperature change throughout the day and these damn flies suck up here!!!!! 

Hopefully more good news to report tomorrow!!  (and hopefully not reporting so early on the computer, my drinking buddies have wimped out!!!)

Kevin

Kevin seems to have found some drinking buddies.
Surprise had a 7,6 today and they are in second place 2 points behind the first place boat.

hayesrigging

Drinking buddies????   I was home early last night see what time I posted!!!!  Now tonight I found my drinking buddies, thanks Roger and Sarah!!!!  Yesterday was even my birthday and I made it home early, not so much tonight though!!!  Not jinxing tomorrows racing like I did apparantly last night so we are going to be aggressive and see how the chips fall!!!!

Fliies still suck, have fun on Mackinac bring the flyswatter!!!

Kevin

BTW:  Of all people Jim Powers accusing ME of finding drinking buddies?!?!?!?!?!?!  Hello Pot, Kettle here!!!!!!

Jim Powers

Quote from: hayesrigging on June 21, 2009, 12:55:35 AM
Drinking buddies????   I was home early last night see what time I posted!!!!  Now tonight I found my drinking buddies, thanks Roger and Sarah!!!!  Yesterday was even my birthday and I made it home early, not so much tonight though!!!  Not jinxing tomorrows racing like I did apparantly last night so we are going to be aggressive and see how the chips fall!!!!

Fliies still suck, have fun on Mackinac bring the flyswatter!!!

Kevin

BTW:  Of all people Jim Powers accusing ME of finding drinking buddies?!?!?!?!?!?!  Hello Pot, Kettle here!!!!!!
Kettle,
I was suggesting you found drinking buddies Saturday night. Good Luck today!
Pot

hayesrigging

We finished the regatta in second overall.  Today was light again and we finished with a 3,2 which was 5 points out of first and 9 points in front of third.  Overall a very good regatta and pretty happy with the results since this was the first time we had sailed together as a crew. 

Heading home now, covered about 200 miles tonight with 900 to go tomorrow dragging the empty trailer, urggggghh!!!!!!!!

Kevin

MaryM

Kevin - who else was crew?  Congrats to all.  Since you have an empty trailer, I assume that Surprise is doing the Mac?