Why cruising and not racing in the name of GBCA?

Started by JA, April 02, 2014, 08:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JA

Quick question to anyone who knows the answer!  Why do we call the association Cruising and not Racing?  We are always racing and we never cruise! At least I don't remember any cruises.  Besides GBRA is more indicative of what the organization really is about.  Would appreciate any feedback and this also includes Bee.  ???

Bee

Deckhand

JA, take a look at the tab "About Us" then first tab on history. There is a good article about the history of GBCA and the Founding Fathers. We are a mainly racing club, but even at the start of the Club, there was crusing division!
GBCA Commodore 2014

Bee

JA

What was done many years ago has no bearing on the function of what the club does today!   Why not consider the change of name to reflect what the organization is actually promoting and sponsoring, which is racing?

Deckhand

I can understand your concern. I personally like GBCA (guess I am a tradition type of guy), but I can put it on the agenda for discussion at our next board meeting. It, in my opinion, would take more than the Board voting to change the name. I believe it would be a lively conversation on both sides. We will see if there is anymore thoughts!
GBCA Commodore 2014

Tye Dyed Gary

As a past board member from the last century, there are several things to think about. 1) the IRS (paper work to keep the tax status), 2) this one is the real pain, having to rewrite all the deeds of gift, having the wording approved by the sponsor, if they can be found.  Then having to read them all in open meeting before the senior membership. (I was involved in the change from Wells Fargo to Compass Bank sponsor that is, The Performance Cup. That was a three month process, and that was all volunteer time.) 3) All the other costly small expenditures that go along with name changing. 4) Having to put out a ballot to all the senior members to approve the change. 
  These are just some of the things that have to be considered in a name change.
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

Bee

Apfelstrudel ist  up pot gemixing.  Vorryink ober dis ist vert dee effart not.

Just think I was 8 years old when he was born.

ChrisK

This topic came up years ago (10?) in a board meeting.  
Folks were trying to draw in more OD, circuit racing...
I believe we concluded it was a bit of a pain to change the name, and the facilites needed to host a 40-50 boat "National" or "Worlds" level regatta required resources we didn't have (with exception to our RC, and great parties :D)...GBCA does have name recognition...plus we just ordered new stickers...lol

Alot has changed in the sailboat racing world since the original naming in 1947, cruising was a big part of it.
It was not unusual for some of these guys to leave on a Friday, sail to a place like New Orleans, race (typically win), then sail home and be back by Monday. Thats alot of water under the keel for a weekend!

I like the original name, the '6 Stout Fellas'

Check out J Howards book
http://www.amazon.com/Love-First-Sight-Lifetime-Galveston/dp/0595348297
You can also download on your Kindle for $3.99. Its a good read!

Other history, link...
http://www.gbca.org/History
Past Commodore, 2010

Greg A Casamayor

Changing the name will not change who we are.  I will not elaborate on the cost of changing names, as that has been pointed out, but a name change is a zero benefit proposition.  It will not encourage anyone to race anymore or any less.  I believe the tagline "The Place to Race" is self explanatory to anyone otherwise confused by the name. 
Greg
GBCA Commodore 2006

Kevin Box

According to the old folks, it's sort of a throwback to the CCA Rule. Way back then, other clubs were racing one-designs (mostly dinghy's). GBCA was the first local club to have regular big (cruising) boat races under a handicap rule. That's what a nice elderly lady told me after a few glasses of champagne so, take it with another glass of, well, I guess champagne...