Labor Day Weekend, Redfish

Started by ChrisK, August 31, 2009, 03:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisK

Morning show hosts Dean and Rog of 107.5 are going to attempt a live feed of their morning show on Redfish Island on Friday Sept 4th.
Their plan is to transmit on Redfish, bounce a signal off Southshore, then down range to the Galleria.
They need line of sight to pull this off.

Their engineer on the show claims to have partially tested this, and feels confident they can do it.
I don't think so.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't see Southshore from Redfish. If you can , it's nestled in the tree line.

BUT, you can see the Endeavour...(about twice as tall)
I bet this is a case of mistaken building identity by those not familar with the area.

(Their backup plan is to do the show via iphone)

This plan sounds destined for failure. What do you think?

It's not exactly paradise out at Redfish.  Lets hope some of those attending are not too disapponted and bring some garbage bags to pack out the copious amounts of trash that washes up  ;)
Past Commodore, 2010

Charles

I measured it on the chart and it's approx 8.25 miles line of site.  If they have an antenna on top of South Shore, I would think it would work, even though you can't physically see it from Redfish.  Microwave does wonderful things!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

KevinBednar

I'm with Charles, and if they can't get a link to South Shore they'll move the boat until they can...

Besides you can get amazing cell and 3g reception on the bay so if they can't see South Shore, they'll have other options.

ChrisK

This discussion reminds me of the nifty microwave setup they had for the Wed Night races a few years ago. I actually learned alot about sailing starts from the replay.  I wish Club Classic would work with CLRA and have that arrangement again. 
Past Commodore, 2010

KevinBednar

Agreed.  That was a nice set up.

I wonder if it's legal to do that over VHF.  I'd love to be able to listen in as we set up for a start...   ;D

ChrisK

The Redfish Raftup is also going on this weekend, Saturday and Sunday Kelly McGuire playing

Benefits Galveston Bay Foundation
Past Commodore, 2010

jayhefty

the tree line doesn't rank as an obstruction to RF waves. I have many times thrown antenna elements up in a tree instead of trying to erect a 25 to 40 foot mast by myself only to take it down and pack it up 10 mins later.  There is a plethora of other issues in getting the feed to the masses though.