Rum Race Boat?

Started by B_K, August 18, 2014, 05:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B_K

This might make a good Rum Race boat.  No interest in this game, just thought it was interesting.  Recommend a Good survey.  If you know someone wanting to get into the game or upgrade....this might be a good boat.

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/4569490240.html

Bee

This is a Santana 3030 RC. Its functionally identical to Vic Forsyth's Chili with Sauce and weighs about 500# more then my 3030 GP (6300), Sea Bee. Photos look very nice.  I really liked Chilli with Sauce, but never raced against this boat. Surprised to see it here. Makes me somewhat nostalgic.

3030's are really nice light air racers.  Basically Southern California (Dago) specific. Used to make Vic grumpy when we outran his 105 in light air.  In < 5 a 3030 will perform as well as almost anything out there.  Won my first TGIF in Sea Bee in 5-7 knot breezes.

It is not a boat to run a symmetrical spinnaker in 20+.  Full bore ass pucker barrel role time.  Rudder is not large enough to control the full sized masthead symmetric spinnaker.  Worse, she will actually dig a hole in the water.  Absolutely no planning at all.  However, according to the fella that bought Sea Bee and my old 89 sq mt a-kite Sea Bee was almost unbeatable in PHRF in that configuration.  I certainly can't say that.  Never had an a-kite on her but lost enough races to know better then to say it.  We raced Sea Bee offshore in the old Freeport TRW's and did remarkably well.  In her new incarnation with the a-kite she actually did a HMR, so this RC if in good condition should be able to do that as well.  Expect a PHRF of around 126.

At $6,900, I am not sure I would go through a full survey, but there are some things to check:

Forward bulkhead.  These boats had a tendency for this to release. Look specifically at the hull-bulkhead attachment towards the bottom. Any separation is an issue. It also shows up as hull pulsing above about 15 knots of breeze. Its fixable if you know how to play with fiberglass. Otherwise is a professional job.

Bottom.   The hull on 3030's are very thin.  That's why its so light.  Would have had to spend $4K for a non-blister bottom to keep her.  If she has had a bottom job in 2013 and currently has no blister you are good to go, but I would be really surprised.  Sea Bee would blister in 6-8 months.

Hull moisture.  I once concluded that fast sailboats leak and 3030's are no exception to this rule. Get a gauge that can tell you if there is moisture in the hull, especially  on deck.  Those decks can get quite spongy if there is.  We lost a stanchion due to moister.  Hull was so soft we could just pull the stanchion out.

Sole.  Check to make sure the boards are not rotted.

Diesel.  The original diesel was a Volvo Penta.  I don't remember if it was a twin or 3 cyl, but I think it probably was a twin.  They were not friendly engines.  Make sure it starts easily and runs smoothly. Also check to make sure it has been serviced regularly.

If all this checks out I would say at $6,900 this could be a steal.

B_K

Bee,

All true.  First 3030 I raced against was in Corpus......fun to watch those guys rockin & rollin.  Was thinking it would make a good starter boat in non-spin.  Light air performers do pretty well in non-spin....specially down wind.  It'll be sporty enough upwind for a newish helmsman learn about "boat feel".  Hopefully the boat is solid and someone will pick it up and start racing.  Not to late for Rum #7.

Sailaway

:o ahhhhhhhh Rum Race 7  8)

Bee

I  found my old Santana brochures and determined that I made a couple mistakes:

My GP (Sea Bee) had a displacement of 6,000# not 6,300#.  Biggest difference was shallower cabin top.  No standing room.
The boat in the ad (Spirit) is actually a PC.  Her displacement is normally listed at 6,800#.
I found two displacements for a RC (racing version of the PC).  One at 6,000 and the other at 6,800#.

I still think if this boat passes muster it would be a steal.

JayZ

That boat belonged to a friend of mine,  he brought it here from Marina delrey.  It had some decent rags at one point...

Boat sat in a sad state for a long time - he didnt have time to maintain it and he got rid of it a while back. 

No idea of the condition now but at $6900 it almost doesn't matter...  Looks like a pretty cheap race noat to me.
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL

JayZ

...needed some minor mast work as I recall at or near the hounds.
Jay Zittrer
s/v BANJO GIRL