Unexperienced, Want to learn

Started by AnnieN, June 05, 2015, 10:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnieN

I am a college student from Rice University interested in learning more about sailing. A friend and I are looking to get on a boat this coming weekend for the rum race.

Let me know if you have space!

Thanks, Annie
Contact me at (512) 297-5505

edthemainsailguy

BASIC SAILBOAT RACING SEMINAR
When20 Jun 2015
9:30 AM - 3:00 PM
LocationGBCA Clubhouse
The 2015 version of GBCA's Basic Sailboat Racing Seminar is has been rescheduled to June 20th. Registration is available.

Participant List: Click here

This annual event is designed to introduce the novice skipper or crew to the Racing Rules of Sailing, explain enough about how a race is managed to allow the skipper to know when to start and where to go, and touch on the basics of preparation of a boat and crew to race. Attendees spend about 3 hours in a class at the GBCA clubhouse and then go out on an assigned boat with a veteran crew and skipper to race in the Rum Race that afternoon, or have a veteran racer assigned to your boat and crew to help you for the race. Rum Races are pursuit races (the slower boats get a head start and the faster boats try to catch them) that start at the entrance to the Clear Lake Channel, race in a 13 mile triangle around designated platforms in Galveston Bay, and finish at the entrance to the Clear Lake Channel.

The finish is between Markers #1 and 2, but all Rum Races end the same way- at the post race party where the trophies (bottles of rum) are awarded to winners and the winners share their awards wit