J Kevin Box

Started by Greg A Casamayor, August 04, 2015, 12:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg A Casamayor

Just in case some of you may not be aware, our friend and former commodore Kevin Box, passed away Last Saturday August 1st.
Fair winds my friend.....
Greg
GBCA Commodore 2006

Bee

Terrible.  Kevin was one of the best guys ever.  Lot younger then me.  Crap like this should not happen.

Funeral details?

Greg A Casamayor

Service is Thursday August 6th @10:30am
Shrine of the True Cross
300 FM 517 East
Dickinson, TX 77539
www.truecrosschurch.org
Greg
GBCA Commodore 2006

Bee

Eric713

Greg.  Thank you for your posting.  I'm sure many will appreciate the information.

hayesrigging

We have lost another great person in the sailing world and to many a great all around person.  Kevin was part of the resurrection of the Veracruz Regatta when GBCA co hosted with LYC years ago.  He is also (I believe singlehandedly) responsible for the club handicap class (Maybe call it the "Box Rule"!!) and ran the computer for years to develop the rating system.  He is also a past commodore of the club.  No doubt that he spent countless hours volunteering for GBCA to help the club grow into what it is today.

My thoughts and prayers are with Kathy and Kevins family. 

Someone needs to come up with a good tribute that those of us can do Sat night during the rum race.  Any ideas??

Eric713

A horned salute at sunset with a rum drink coordinated on channel 69 would be nice. Pick a non race Saturday evening.  Kevin and Johnny moved to Portofino back in 2008. Kevin was the Commodore at the time. We joined GBCA after talking to him and Johnny Jones.  Got hooked very quickly. Attended the race seminar 5/2009. Been hooked ever since. Kevin was a great guy with an infectious smile with just a touch of sarcasm.  He will be missed by all he knew. He was only in his mid-fifties. Perhaps a reminder how precious life truly is.

Bee

Nice idea Ed.  If its OK with you I will hoist a stein in his honor.  Rum makes me dumb(er then I already am).

Outside of just being around him at various times, my fondest memory of Kevin must always include the super chicken.  According to him it was that chicken that did all the super computing necessary to assure a fair and equitable rating system for the  GBCA Club Handicap Class.  Fun stuff.

Was nice to see a good turnout of local sailors today.  I am sure that by now he is sailing on that big ocean in the sky.

Deckhand

Kevin was quite proud of the GBCA Cruising Class. He worked very hard at growing it and making it work. Every Commodore before and after Kevin is always trying to grow membership. Kevin's Cruising Class has been very successful. 
   We might all fly the orange flag in his honor this Saturday. We would still need to fly our class flag with the addition of the orange flag beneath your class. The Cruising Class could fly two!
    Now Kevin would not like you to all go buy a flag, but most everybody has an orange PFD. Raise a toast after your finish and honor our friend Kevin Box.
    It will be hot this weekend, so don't over indulge in the heat. Kevin was all about safety. Let's all be members a long time.
GBCA Commodore 2014

Greg A Casamayor

I think we should rename the Conundrum in his honor, maybe even expand it to include fully crewed boats. 
Greg
GBCA Commodore 2006

Bee

Brilliant Greg.  That is perfect.  Kevin (Bednar) and I rand the first offshore version of that ---- the missing mark conundrum --- and were discussing that on Thursday.  One might also consider renaming the GBCA Club Handicap the Kevin Box Performance Handicap Racing Formula (KBPHRF).

Chuck

Renaming The Conundrum is an excellent idea.  It was his brain child (actually he brought it from San Francisco).  The J Kevin Box Memorial Conundrum.  Or add another leg and call it The Conundrum Box (just kidding).