A Houston Treasure

Started by ChrisA, September 11, 2015, 10:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisA

Today we visited the Houston Maritime Museum. Yes, who figured there was such a thing. It's in a house a block south of the Medical Center, surrounded by condos and office buildings. What an incredible surprise. Not big like many others, but a collection of high quality. Well worth the visit and the support. They have big plans. Land already on lease from the Port and design by Gensler. All they need is a couple of mil more. Go visit. It will make you happy.

Brad

As you say, it is a great place to visit. Incredible collection of items.  They really do need a new place though.  So if you hear about them fundraising or a capital campaign, please do not be shy.

I always wonder why they and other maritime related organizations do not work out an agreement at the  empty Bayport cruise ship terminal.  The museum, port related organizations, and the Galveston Bay Foundation and other environmental or maritime focused organizations could all co-exist in a great space.  Maybe Galveston's Nautical Antiques could have a presence.  Add a restaurant and we have a "go to " place that rivals the Boardwalk.

Hey - Keels and Wheels could consider a new venue with lots of parking and space.

Just saying.

PrisSail

Ohmigosh yes, the Houston Maritime Museum is a gem!  They have a *wonderful* group of incredibly knowledgeable docents, each tour with a different docent is like seeing a different museum.   :)  Also, they have a GREAT lecture series once a month in the evening on the second Tuesday ... they say "refreshments served" good grief, every time I have been it was a large gourmet spread with drinks including wine.  The lectures, "refreshments" and museum admission are free - so please leave an appreciative donation to show your Thanks.

http://www.houstonmaritimemuseum.org/lecture-series/

Brad, a new building is in the works!  Here is a link to the new complex next to the Port of Houston's Sam Houston Pavilion on the Ship Channel:

http://www.houstonmaritimemuseum.org/charting-new-waters/

There was lengthy of back and forth about being affordable vs being stellar, and they chose something close to Stellar - big expense and long time line.  The donations they need for this are substantial....
The right of way goes to the vessel with the least competent crew.

Brad

Do you know if they have raised the initial $1.3M required to keep the Letter of Intent with the Port?  I have not heard any news for a couple years.  Any idea of when construction starts or completes?

ChrisA

When we were there, the docent said they hoped to start construction in a year. But, they still have a lot of funds to raise.

PrisSail

Here's the scoop:

Plans have changed Again, from 12,000 sf now to 40,000 sf., the new location is very close to the original proposed location.  The goal of raising $1.5 million was exceeded ... but since the plans have changed ...

Construction is expected to start next spring and finish late 2017.

The museum is working on a new web page, and here is a link with a video, drawings, and more info about the new museum:
http://www.buildhmm.com/

I asked about using the Bayport Cruise Terminal and one of the reasons it is not being considered is because the proposed location at the Port of Houston is more accessible and has other nearby attractions.
The right of way goes to the vessel with the least competent crew.

Brad

Thanks for the update and link to the new website.  Much easier to understand what the plan is.

What a great site and proposed building.  I have a difficult time imagining it from where the museum is today.

ChrisA

It's going to loose a lot of it's charm.