Dredging.

Started by PrisSail, January 08, 2016, 02:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrisSail

Since the Bayport Channel is STILL being dredged ...
Thanks to Philip Kropf for the following:

USCG Safety Alert - Dredging Equipment Hazards
December 30 - The Coast Guard issued Marine Safety Alert 14-15 to remind recreational boaters and commercial vessel operators to use caution when operating their vessels near areas where dredging operations may be taking place. This alert also reminds commercial entities performing dredging in waterways to make sure all components of pipelines are properly marked and accounted for regardless of the recreational boating season and locations where dredging is taking place. The Coast Guard strongly recommends recreational boaters, commercial vessel operators, boat repair facilities and others to immediately report issues associated with improperly marked or unmarked dredging components to the nearest Coast Guard unit. All waterway users should operate at a safe speed when the potential for hazards such as dredging components are present. The Coast Guard also reminds those persons and organizations associated with dredging and other commercial activities that cause or create navigation hazards to follow the requirements of the Navigation Rules, specifically Title 33, Chapter I, Subchapter E, Part 83, Subpart C, ยง83.27 (Rule 27). Failure to follow these regulations may result in federal fines or penalties in addition to any civil lawsuits that may be filed. For full details, please view the Safety Alert here: US. Coast Guard
(http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg545/alerts/1415.pdf)

The preceding USCG Safety Alert contains very important information that all recreational boaters should be aware of!!! Please click on the link to see the full alert. This is especially important in our part of the world where dredging will be continuing in the Bayport Channel through at least the first half of 2016 (re: my latest report on this project in the current edition of The Texas Mariner (http://texasmariners.com/images/Newsletter/2016/January_2016.pdf ) on pages 7-9. And then, as I wrote in the December edition: "I don't mean to write only about dredging, but that is one of the things that I pay the most attention to in the Lone Star Harbor Safety Committee meetings that I go to. It affects us all, it is never done, and there is more coming in late 2016, specifically this time dredging in the HSC all the way from Redfish to Morgan's Point!"
There will also be ongoing dredging projects during 2016 at various locations in the GIWW in both directions from Bolivar Roads, and so we will all need to be paying close attention to these projects as we traverse these waterways this year!

Fair winds to all, and stay alert and safe!

Philip Kropf
TMCA Past Commodore (www.texasmariners.com)
Recreational Boater Rep to the USCG Area Maritime Security Committee (AMSC)
Recreational Boater Rep to the USCG Port Coordination Team (PCT)
Recreational Boater Rep to the Lone Star Harbor Safety Committee (LSHSC) www.lonestarhsc.org
Recreational Boater Rep to the Central Texas Coastal Area Committee (CTCAC) www.ctcac.us 

And really, if you ever run into Pilip Kropf DO thank him for all the work he does to support recreational boating in Galveston Bay.
Actually, I recommend you go out of your way to "run into" him.
To THANK him, that is!  ;D

Miss Pris
The right of way goes to the vessel with the least competent crew.