Icycle series

Started by shawn, January 04, 2017, 02:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawn

I see 48 degrees and N10 -20 MPH for this Saturday.
Shawn
Semi True Story

Charles

Quote from: shawn on January 04, 2017, 02:43:52 PM
I see 48 degrees and N10 -20 MPH for this Saturday.

That's why it's called the Icicle Series!
Moi Verstehe Nada,
Char-les

Bee

Its called freezing your butt off. 

Wear warm clothes.

shawn

Friday night low 32 we just might have ice for our first race!
Shawn
Semi True Story

Johnb207

Will the small craft advisory affect the race?

Sailaway

The SI states: "Attention is called to RRS 4: "Decision to Race, "The responsibility for a boat's decision to participate in a race or to continue racing is hers alone.""

barrylew

Come to the clubhouse after you get in. We will have a shrink there to sign paperwork certifying that you are nucking futs.

Bee

We need a way to like comments so

LIKE!!!!!

Quote from: barrylew on January 06, 2017, 06:14:33 PM
Come to the clubhouse after you get in. We will have a shrink there to sign paperwork certifying that you are nucking futs.

barrylew

I think I will go and shoot six holes in my freezer.

Terry Young

Just a note - FireWater's keel bumped(dept reading was 10ft keel is about 6',6") on something just before the first mark("H"rig) I believe Shawn did a GPS on it for more info. Also saw what looked like part of a telephone post sticking about a foot out of the water near the ship channel( maybe floating around) heading for the range mark, appears to be a lot junk in the water best to keep a watch out. Other than these few things it was a great day to be sailing, and a lots of fun, and a perfect start for the Icicle races and I love the new GBCA calendar with the great photos, but have to say, in my opinion month of Aug photo the best :-)  GO FireWater !

Bee

I had some really strange readings from my depth meter.  I saw things like 36 feet where the true depth should have been ~10.  Coming out on the left side of the channel I also saw something on the order of 6' but never bumped (Stinger draughts 6.5).  Not sure what was going on with my depth meter but it calmed down after that.  Thankfully Concussion rounded inside of me at H so I was not anywhere near that mark.

Thanks for the input.

Quote from: Terry Young on January 09, 2017, 08:16:28 AM
Just a note - FireWater's keel bumped(dept reading was 10ft keel is about 6',6") on something just before the first mark("H"rig) I believe Shawn did a GPS on it for more info. Also saw what looked like part of a telephone post sticking about a foot out of the water near the ship channel( maybe floating around) heading for the range mark, appears to be a lot junk in the water best to keep a watch out. Other than these few things it was a great day to be sailing, and a lots of fun, and a perfect start for the Icicle races and I love the new GBCA calendar with the great photos, but have to say, in my opinion month of Aug photo the best :-)  GO FireWater !

Tye Dyed Gary

Just a comment about  'H' Mark. It is a separation platform, and has about ten pipelines attached to it at ground level. About 10-12 years ago a jack-up service barge snagged some of the pipes as it was pulling up its legs after doing some repairs to the three separators on the platform. It took about 2 months before the pipe was repaired and back at ground level and not out of the water at low tide. Of the several hundreds of times I have rounded 'H' mark, on different boats, from being able to touch it, to giving it 100 ft., I believe we hit something about 15 times. (not a bad average) but still warranted a check on the keel and bolts.
  I guess what I am trying to say in more words then are needed is, until they ban shrimping and oystering in the bay. The commercial fishing will continue to snag the pipes, move them around and cause havoc with our keels.     
  If you are worried, just give a generous shot of good rum to the bay gods before you head out.
Foredeck Crew Union, Local GBCA
'Shut Up' Just Drive the Boat

shawn

OK
its 29 33.215 N
094 56.818 W which according to my scale on the GPS 0.2 miles from H close to the lay line

Second one we saw on the second leg sticking out of the water @ 29 35.676 N 094 56.739 W when I punched this in it was to the right of us about 20 yards starboard side heading to E close to the channel

we hit the first and missed the second one so you don't have to hit either one now. ;D
Shawn
Semi True Story