Looking for Real Sailing Lessons

Started by supercharged, October 04, 2009, 10:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supercharged

I live in the Seabrook area and I am new to sailing and I need to take lessons. ::)

Can the members of this forum recommend a good club or company to take lessons from?

I am not looking for just a certificate but a strong understanding of sailing, so my family and I are safe when we travel into the bay. ;D
Scottsman
"Scottish by birth, American by law,
Texan by the grace of God"

Keith

supercharged

Not yet - but in the process.
Looking at a 25' cruiser/blue water sailboat.
Scottsman
"Scottish by birth, American by law,
Texan by the grace of God"

jayhefty

my experience with B-Sailing Club is great. Alan is patient with the crew(spouses), he encourages racing. Which is in my opinion the best way to learn anything more than the vocabulary.  he will give you more time than you really need.  The j-80 is very stable and easy for a novice to 1 and 1/2 hand sail.  jmho if this sounds to commercial.

Kevin Bednar

Quote from: jayhefty on October 04, 2009, 08:04:25 PM
my experience with B-Sailing Club is great. Alan is patient with the crew(spouses), he encourages racing. Which is in my opinion the best way to learn anything more than the vocabulary.  he will give you more time than you really need.  The j-80 is very stable and easy for a novice to 1 and 1/2 hand sail.  jmho if this sounds to commercial.

I agree completely with Jay.  Alan Bates and B-Sailing are a great way to go.

http://www.bsailing.com/

Patrick

Can't go wrong with J-World.  Have courses in Annapolis, San Fran, San Diego, and my favorite Key West.  If you are looking for a good basic understanding of boat systems, sailing, navigation, etc then try their bareboat live aboard course.  Will get basic keelboat, bareboat, and I think one other cert from US Sailing.

Their racing courses are also pretty good.

B Sailing/Alan Bates

We can do private lessons without having to join the B Sailing Club. 
We can talk further about your long term goals and what you'd like to accomplish.
Please call-Alan--281-212-7348

This is some of the best sailing all year--let's get out there.

Alan Bates/B Sailing-281-212-7348
Learn to sail and race J/Boats in annual membership sailing club. Unlimited sailing on "your' own boat.

daysailor

If you are looking for Piloting and Nav skills as well as a large dose of safety, i recommend you look at joining the Power Squadron.  Nobody does it better.

Salty Dog

I can only tell you my experience.  I took ASA 101, 103 and 104 from two different schools in the Kemah area, and I thought they both did a decent job.  I then chartered for about a year, then bought my own boat two years ago.  I also crewed a bit last year.  I have learned a lot with each of those different experiences.  You have to learn a little, then get some experience on your own, because that is where you learn the most.

That being said, if I were boat-less today, I would join B-Sailing.  That is a great way to learn, get some solid experience, and have fun on some awesome boats.