Seeking Recommendation

Started by Salty Dog, October 06, 2009, 08:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty Dog

Could anyone recommend to me someone to install/upgrade instruments and an autopilot on my boat?  Right now, I only have an old set of Signet depth and speed.  I would like to upgrade to Raymarine ST60+ depth/speed/wind package and add the X-5 auto pilot.

My boat is a Catalina 30.  Any experience with the system I want to install?

To be honest, finding dependable people to work on my boat has been a never ending and frustrating challenge.  People don't return calls, don't show up, etc.  I would think that someone that provided just a minimal level of service in the Kemah area would make a killing.

Anyway, not trying to turn this into a rant, but would appreciate some recommendations.

Thanks!

STuma

call me... 281.705.3712

cheers...
Scott
cheers...
Scott

ChrisK

I wasn't impressed with the old generation Raymarine ST60 for wind/speed/flux compass.
Take a look at the back of the repeater or speed? unit, its design is susceptable to salt/elements.
Even using both marine and aircraft grade connectors...still had problems with corrosion, namely moisture getting into 6 tabbed holes for the NMEA interface.
Yes, this was on a full on race boat, where things got wet often...but the design (in my opinion) could have been done alot better.
Short of putting half a tube of RTV on the connectors...you shouldn't have to go that ghetto.

Also, stuff like the flux compass would regularly be off by 80-200 degress. (I think they all do this)
It was annoying have to read up on the users guide before a weekend of racing to get the true wind to at least point to the right direction after bootup.
btw: this is after a 2 different professional installs, a few calls to Raymarine customer support, countless 2 minute circles, and reading every install manual they have....
(The trick is to press and hold the button for 10 seconds to get to calibration mode....)

Life has been good after upgrading to wireless wind tacktick.   Components from prior generations swap out easily and the displays are sealed.
You still need a power source to power the NMEA interface (think of it as a wi-fi box) bolted to the bulkhead but at least you're not having to run a wire up the mast. The entire system is not completely wireless, or completely solar powered like you think.  For boat speed, compass you still have to hard wire those components the NMEA wi-fi box, which is wired to a battery, but you can get to those components alot easier. The compass has been completely hassle free. The displays are wireless, solar and sealed, which is pretty sweet b/c you can remove them from the boat easily when you're done playing and get them out of the heat/moisture.  Not so sweet when you drop one overboard or the internal battery starts to go. 

Tacktick has autopilot tie-in NMEA but not a full intergrated system like you're looking for. Some pdfs on their website about this. 

In the actual autopilot department I have very limited experience.  I think all of them have quirks. But from what I hear, it pays to upgrade if you're doing gulf crossings, things of that nature.
Past Commodore, 2010

Bee

While I still have the Raymarine stuff on Stinger, I can second Chris' comments.  The only reason I don't switch is that the previous owner seemed to feel that if one instrument was good 7 was better.  That's a lot of holes to plug.

Our biggest problem was with an intermittent wind instrument.  When I took delivery of the boat it would work for a few days and then stop.  Hauled Kevin B up the mast many times until finally one day he hit the right button and it has worked ever since.  Still have the accuracy problem but by and large everything sorta works.

Raymarine is not all that interested in sailboat racing so many of the kinds of data one might want to see are either not available or very difficult to display.  As far as I know its not possible to display when lifted or headed.  This feature is pretty much automatic on the Tactick.

There are a number of instruments that are worthy of consideration, but semi-wireless operation is really a great feature.

hayesrigging

Call Jim Davis at Davis Marine Electronics.  He has done many eletronic packages on the boats on the bay and does good work at a reasonable price.  His number is 713 206-6663.

Kevin Hayes

Salty Dog

Thank you all for the great insights.  That is good to know about the Raymarine system I was thinking of, and the suggestion to perhaps go wireless.  In just surveying costs, it looked as though the tacktick system was much more expensive, which is why I leaned away from it in the beginning.  Looking closer, while it is still more expensive, it looks to be a very easy system to install, maintain and expand.  That will likely cut down quite a bit on installation costs, and if more reliable then maybe cheaper in the long run. 

Thanks also for those suggesting some people to install.  I will speak with them.