Hurricane and other marine debris

Started by cchung, October 22, 2009, 11:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cchung

Dear Galveston Bay Constituents:

I am in the process of submitting a proposal to the federal goverment to remove leftover hurricane and other marine debris from the galveston bay area including the Clearlake area.  Maximum Marine Services of Seabrook has agreed to participate in this project.

Recreational boaters would be one of the primary beneficiaries of this program as specific items of debris could be removed from Bay as a result of this proposal.  For recreational boaters, this would make operation of your vessel safer.

If you believe that this proposal would be of benefit to the Galveston Bay area, please send me an email to that effect at cchung@uh.edu.

Dr. Christopher A. Chung
Associate Professor
University of Houston
Department of Industrial Engineering
Eng. Bldg. 2, E215
Houston, TX 77204-4812
cchung@uh.edu

cchung

This is small more general progam funded by a federal agency.  It is not specifically targeted toward the removal and salvage of recreation vessels or debris as a result of Ike.  It is an opportunity to remove any other hazardous debris, including debris that that been out there before Ike.

ChrisK

Past Commodore, 2010

Rob

In reference to "The KHOU report": it refers to "8,051 bits of debris" cleaned up in the Galveston Bay area. We have that much "debris" still in Clear Lake alone, much less the Galveston Bay system. Sail a 5' keel boat for 6 months on the Lake and you will know there is still a lot of "debris" out there. Yes, the General Land Office had a big job cleaning up the Bay area but their goal from the start was not "to get it all". Their representative at a local meeting I attended stated as much; they were going after what was visible to them and what they found with their sonar surveys. In fact, much was missed. They could spend years trying to clean-up the water but it is not realisticly feasible. Maybe they stopped the clean-up when they had enough to make a good report? We still have a lot of trash in the water which will continue to rise to the surface and move around till it decomposes or gets picked up. I believe an effort to continue the clean-up the water is a good idea................Would someone do it for us, EH?
Overall, I'm impressed with how much has been cleaned up from IKE all across the Houston/Galveston area and I think the GLO did a pretty good job but it is not done. We all need to help when and where we can to continue the improvement to our great community. Thanks! Rob